Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Leslie has more than twenty years of experience representing and advising clients in matters involving commercial finance, real estate, economic development, and related corporate issues.
Economic Development and Incentives
Leslie specializes in procuring State and local economic development incentives, including tax abatements and credits, economic development grants, and training and recruiting incentives, for a broad range of businesses with existing Alabama facilities and those seeking to build and establish operations in Alabama. Leslie has advised major manufacturers, including companies operating in the automotive, firearms, All Terrain Vehicles, aerospace and defense industries, and more. She regularly assists clients based internationally.
Commercial Development and Financing
In addition to her Economic Development and Incentives practice, Leslie handles large-scale commercial loan closings for banking institutions. She structures, documents, secures, and closes all types of financing transactions, including commercial real estate and construction loans; asset-based lines of credit, including government contract-based lending; letter of credit financing; floor plan lines of credit; and investment-property-backed financing.
Leslie also devotes a substantial portion of her practice to representing and advising privately held companies in the development and construction of commercial office buildings, condominiums, manufacturing facilities, warehouse and industrial parks, and multi-family projects. Her commercial real estate experience includes leasing; financing; land use planning; zoning; construction; acquisitions and sales, including 1031 exchanges and title insurance; industrial development grants; tax abatements; and general corporate transactions.
Best Lawyers® has recognized Leslie as a leader in Commercial Finance Law and Real Estate Law for several years.
Some of Leslie’s representative matters include:
- Negotiated economic incentives for over $125M in new construction of offices and production facilities in Cummings Research Park
- Negotiated economic incentives for two tier-one automotive parts suppliers’ manufacturing facilities totaling $332M in build-out
- Negotiated economic incentives for a $245M expansion and $19M line conversion at an existing advanced automotive manufacturing facility
- Negotiated economic incentives for a $75M renovation and expansion of an electronics manufacturing services provider’s facility
- Served as developer’s counsel for the aggregate sale of five shopping centers across Alabama totaling $15M
- Served as developer’s counsel for an expanding fast food restaurant franchisee with multiple locations
- Served as counsel for over $77M in loans for the construction and renovation of hotels, including mezzanine financing
- Served as counsel for a $25M loan for the construction of a high-end car dealership
- Served as counsel for a $24M loan for the construction of an apartment complex
- Served as lender’s counsel for an $18.75M loan for the acquisition and development of an assisted living and memory care facility by a multi-tiered entity borrower
- Writes title insurance for Fortune 100 title insurance and settlement services providers
"Leslie is very smart and one of the most thorough lawyers…organizes the whole process and never gets rattled…pays great attention to detail, and it is all delivered with a good personality. On the business side, you need someone with the right bedside manner and the right style."
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Finance Law and Real Estate Law (2018-present)
Leslie's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Huntsville-Madison County Bar Association
- International Council of Shopping Centers, Member
- The Risk Management Association, Member
- National Children's Advocacy Center, Board of Directors, 2003-2009
- United Way of Madison County, Board of Directors, 2009-2015
- Heart of the Valley YMCA, Board of Directors
State Bar: Alabama, Tennessee
Honorable Sue Bell Cobb
Alabama Court of Criminal Appeals from 1997-1998
Birmingham, AL. (August 20, 2020) Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 168 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 76 practice areas listed...Read More
Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 130 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized as leaders in their practice areas in the 2020 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, a peer-review guide highlighting attorneys with significant achievements in their areas of practice. With 63 practice areas...Read More