Rusty is a Shareholder and member of several practice groups in the Litigation Section at Maynard Cooper.
A major component of his practice is defending financial institutions against claims asserted in state and federal court and in arbitration proceedings nationwide. He has represented state and regional banks, investment banking firms and several national brokerage firms in a wide variety of cases. He has represented financial services clients in litigation arising out of transactions involving consumer and commercial loans, securities offerings, and securities brokerage accounts. He also defends companies and corporate executives in securities class action litigation and investor litigation in state and federal court.
Rusty also devotes much of his practice to fiduciary litigation involving disputes arising out of trusts or estates. Often, this litigation involves defending bank trust departments who are sued by trust customers and beneficiaries, or representing trustees who are neutral participants in disputes between trustees and beneficiaries. He also represents individuals and families in disputes involving the administration of trusts and estates. Best Lawyers® named Rusty the 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” for Trusts and Estates Litigation, a distinction given to only one attorney in each geographic area.
In addition to his primary practice areas, Rusty has represented clients in various technology-related litigation matters. He has represented two Chief Executive Officers of publicly-traded companies in Internet defamation cases and has represented a company in a dispute over the ownership of an Internet domain name. He also represented an Alabama computer manufacturer in a commercial lawsuit against a large chip manufacturer involving antitrust and patent issues.
Rusty has also defended a number of cases filed as nationwide or statewide consumer class actions filed against insurance companies, lending institutions, and the manufacturer of an over-the-counter drug. He also practices in the area of healthcare litigation. He has represented local hospitals and healthcare providers around the state in litigation matters involving issues or employment, patient care, patient privacy and medical staff credentialing issues.
Rusty is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, and he is consistently recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers for his talents and success as a litigator.
He earned his J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law, and he holds a B.A. from the University of South Alabama.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation, Litigation: Securities, and Litigation: Trusts and Estates (2008-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2017 “Lawyer of the Year” in Litigation: Trusts and Estates
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Business Litigation, Estate and Trust Litigation (2016-present)
- B-Metro, Selected as a Top Attorney (2020)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Estate and Trust Litigation, Business Litigation (2011-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Rusty's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Church of the Highlands, Elder
- Safe Harbor Ministry, Board of Directors
- Vestavia Hills City Schools Foundation, Board of Directors
- Big Brother/Big Sister of Birmingham
- Project Corporate Leadership program
University of Alabama School of Law (1985, J.D., Alabama Law Review; Hugo L. Black Scholar; ATLA Trial Advocacy Team Member)
University of South Alabama (1981, B.A.)
Honorable Seybourn H. Lynne
United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama from 1985-1986