Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard) has earned the distinction of a Highly Recommended Litigation Firm and Highly Recommended Labor & Employment Firm in the recently released 2023 edition of Benchmark Litigation, the definitive guide spotlighting the nation’s leading law firms and litigators. The list of Maynard lawyers recognized in the...Read More
Maibeth is one of the founders of Maynard & Gale and formerly served on the Firm’s Board of Directors. Her practice focuses on two areas, Financial Services and Product Liability.
Maibeth represents the financial services industry in commercial litigation and regulatory risk. In this regard, she deals with representatives of the Federal Reserve, the Alabama State Banking Department, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Justice Department, and the Securities and Exchange Commission, in both routine regulatory matters and special investigations, including responding to grand jury subpoenas. Maibeth has also designed and conducted compliance reviews and assisted financial institutions in writing and revising their policies and procedures.
Maibeth has represented drug and medical device manufacturers for 25 years in product liability cases involving diets drugs, phenylpropanolamine, thimerosal-containing vaccines, hormone replacement therapies, autoimmune disease biologics, contraceptive devices, breast implants, dialyzers, electronic hearing devices, fertility drugs, anti-reflux devices, latex gloves, incubators, component parts of oxygen delivery systems, and anti-nausea drugs.
Her litigation skills and talents have earned her recognition as a Fellow of the International Academy of Trial Lawyers and a Leading Litigator in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business.
Maibeth received her J.D. from Vanderbilt University School of Law and holds a B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of the South (Sewanee).
"Her depth of experience brings wise judgment and she has a way of spotting the issues before they have presented themselves."
"She is incredibly organized and able to break down complex situations and develop a quick understanding."
- Alabama State Bar - Susan B. Livingston Award (2017)
- BTI Client Service All-Stars (2020-present)
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Litigation (2008-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Appellate Practice, Banking and Finance Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation: Banking and Finance, Mass Tort Litigation /Class Actions: Defendants, and Product Liability Litigation: Defendants (2007-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2020 and 2014 "Lawyer of the Year" for Appellate Practice; Product Liability Litigation: Defendants (2018); 2012 and 2021 "Lawyer of the Year" for Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions: Defendants
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for General Litigation and "Top 50 Women Mid-South Super Lawyers" (2016 and 2017)
- Super Lawyers “Top 50 Lawyers in Alabama” (2010 and 2012 - 2019)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Class Action/Mass Torts; Personal Injury Defense: Products; General Litigation (2008-2015)
- Alabama Super Lawyers "Top 25 Women Lawyers" (2008-2015); "Top 10 Lawyers" (2015)
- Who's Who Legal: Product Liability Defense (2017, 2018)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating - Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers (since 2013)
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation
Maibeth's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Law Institute, Member 2019
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- Alabama Judicial Inquiry Commission, 2017 - 2021
- Supreme Court of Alabama, Standing Committee on the Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure, Chair
- Alabama State Bar; Bar Commissioner 2001-2010, Mandatory Continuing Legal Education Commission, Character and Fitness Committee, Alabama Law Foundation
- Birmingham Bar Association; President 2003, Executive Committee, member 1992-1994, Birmingham Bar Foundation, past director
Civic and Community Involvement
- University of the South - Sewanee, Tennessee; Board of Trustees, Board of Regents
- Episcopal Diocese of Alabama; Chancellor 2006-2009, Assistant Chancellor, 2003-2006
- Cathedral Church of the Advent
Maibeth's Speaking Engagements
- Birmingham Bar Association CLE Program - "Getting Past the Past: How We Got Here"
- Thursday, Sept. 7, 2017, Birmingham, AL
- Maibeth joined a distinguished panel in the first of a three part series organized by the BBA's Diversity/Inclusivity Committee. The discussion included "getting past the past" with regard to diversity issues in the Bar and pointers with regard to how to move forward.
- CLE Alabama Seminar - "Banking Law Update"
- Friday Feb. 10, 2017, Birmingham, AL
- During this day-long seminar, Maibeth spoke during the "Nuts and Bolts of Responding to Subpoenas" session and covered both what to do when a subpoena is received and when to engage outside counsel.
State Bar: Alabama
Maynard is pleased to announce that 200 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 11 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 56 of the Firm’s younger attorneys who are recognized...Read More
Maynard is pleased to announce that forty-three attorneys and twelve areas of practice are recognized by Chambers and Partners in its Chambers USA Guide 2022, the world’s leading provider of law firm research and analytics. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking...Read More