Matt is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper’s Real Estate & Financial Services practice group and is the Managing Shareholder of the Dallas office. With more than 25 years of experience in real estate law, Matt has handled and managed the legal aspects of a variety of complex real estate transactions, joint ventures, investment fund vehicles, and other real estate-related matters throughout the United States, including:
- land acquisition, including large land assemblages
- land development
- commercial and residential lot development
- entitlement enhancement
- infrastructure development and implementation
- acquisition of improved real property, including office, retail, multifamily, industrial, self-storage, and other types of commercial property
- disposition of improved and unimproved real property
- commercial leasing, representing both landlords and tenants<
- entity-level and project-level financing, representing both borrowers and lenders
- structuring and negotiating real estate investment and development joint ventures, and drafting partnership and limited liability company agreements
- formation of real estate equity and debt investment funds and associated co-investment vehicles and subsidiary entities
Matt also provides general counsel services to certain real estate investment clients.
Before joining Maynard Cooper, Matt served as President of Hudnall P.C., a former Dallas-based law firm focused on real estate and real estate joint ventures and investment funds. Before forming Hudnall P.C. in 2004, Matt was a shareholder in the real estate practice group of Winstead Sechrest & Minick P.C. (now Winstead PC).
Matt is a Dallas native and a 1990 magna cum laude graduate of Vanderbilt University where he majored in economics and was a member of the Phi Beta Kappa academic honor society. He received his law degree from Vanderbilt Law School in 1994 and is licensed to practice law in Texas and Florida.
Earlier in his career, Matt was recognized as a “Texas Rising Star” in the Texas Super Lawyers edition of Texas Monthly magazine and was a member of the Associate Leadership Council of The Real Estate Council of Dallas. He has also been featured in the “In-House Texas” section of Texas Lawyer.