Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard) is pleased to announce that twelve areas of practice and 43 lawyers received high rankings in the recently released 2021 edition of Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking &...Read More
Matt is a Shareholder and member of Maynard Cooper's Real Estate, Commercial Lending, and Bankruptcy and Restructuring practice groups. He has also served on the Firm’s Executive Committee.
Matt has extensive experience in the representation of developers, sponsors, and investors in the acquisition, financing, development, leasing and disposition of real estate, including shopping centers and retail properties, office buildings, multifamily properties, condominiums and other residential projects, undeveloped land, health care properties, industrial sites, and other commercial properties.
Matt’s practice includes the representation of borrowers and lenders in secured and unsecured transactions and multi-state transactions.
Matt also regularly represents special servicers, banks and financial institutions in the creative restructuring and disposition of problem loans (especially those involving real estate collateral), and has significant experience with note sales/purchases, workouts, commercial foreclosures, and complex deed-in-lieu transactions, OREO sales, §363 sales, and bankruptcy matters.
He has also been a lecturer in the area of real estate and bankruptcy law, and recently served on the Planning Committee for the Alabama Bar Institute’s Advanced Real Estate Seminar.
Matt has been widely recognized for his accomplishments and skills as an attorney in various practice areas by industry rankings, including the coveted ranking by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leading Practitioner in Real Estate as a Leading Practitioner in Real Estate Law. He is also consistently included in The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers, and he is AV-Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
He earned his J.D. magna cum laude from the University of Alabama School of Law, and he holds a B.A. magna cum laude from Samford University.
“We are very pleased with his level of experience and his ability to hit our closing timeline.”
"Matt is knowledgeable, has great command of the issues, and is always prompt... very good attention to detail and is savvy in terms of being able to cut to the chase. He is a deal maker. We deal with a lot of different issues and it is good to have someone who not only has the mechanics in place, but is also good with people. "
“I’d give Matt an A-plus. He does an exceptional job and detail-oriented. He is my go-to.”
“Regularly handles acquisitions, dispositions, financing, and transactions. His experience spans a range of asset classes, including retail, commercial and residential developments.” -Chambers review
- Represented large investment fund in the acquisition of multifamily and office properties in Atlanta, Georgia; Baltimore, Maryland; and Newport News, Virginia
- Represented out-of-state investor in the acquisition and financing of 232-unit and 176-unit apartment complexes in Birmingham, Alabama, and of 164-unit and 88-unit apartment complexes in Tallahassee, Florida
- Routinely represent $500 million investment fund in its acquisition and disposition of retail, multi-family and office properties throughout the United States
- Routinely represent national investor in the acquisition, financing and disposition of single- and multi-tenant retail and medical office properties located in Alabama, Delaware, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Illinois, Indiana, North Carolina, Massachusetts, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia, involving tenants such as Regions Bank, Compass Bank, Wells Fargo Bank, PNC Bank, McDonald's, Chick-fil-A, Longhorn Steakhouse, Starbucks, Conn’s, Hobby Lobby, Mattress Firm, National Tire and Battery, Duke Medical, Greenville Hospital System and Deaconess Medical
- Represented developer in the assemblage, acquisition, development and financing of a 253-lot lakefront subdivision located on Goose Pond Island located on Lake Guntersville in Alabama
- Routinely represent developer of office buildings and residential subdivisions throughout Alabama
- Routinely represent franchisees/operators of Iron Tribe Fitness franchises with respect to commercial leases throughout the United States
- Represented lender to owner/operator of large apartment complex in Montgomery, Alabama, successfully obtaining the dismissal of Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and subsequently negotiating a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure agreement with owner/operator
- Representing special servicer in the workout of a CMBS loan secured by a 1 million square foot shopping mall
- Representing special servicer in the workout of a CMBS loan secured by large shopping mall in Alabama
- Representing special servicer in the workout of a CMBS loan secured by grocery-anchored retail center in Alabama
- Represented special servicer in the workout of a CMBS loan secured by 321-unit apartment complex, including foreclosure and subsequent sale of the apartment complex
- Represented special servicer in the workout of a CMBS loan secured by multiple office buildings in Huntsville, Alabama, including foreclosure and subsequent conveyance back to borrower via statutory redemption
- Represented lender in the workout of a non-recourse loan secured by a 500,000 square foot shopping mall, including the negotiation and consummation of (i) a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure agreement with the obligors; (ii) the acquisition of the shopping mall by a third party purchaser via deed-in-lieu of foreclosure; and (iii) re-financing by the lender for such third party purchaser's acquisition of the shopping mall
- Represented lender to the owner/operator of a large apartment complex in Texas, successfully obtaining recovery through the sale of the real property in chapter 11 proceedings
- Represented distressed real estate fund in the purchase of various defaulted loans and subsequent property acquisition through foreclosure or acceptance of deed-in-lieu of foreclosure
- Chambers USA: Leading Individual in the area of Real Estate (2020)
- Chambers USA: Recognized Practitioner in the area of Real Estate (2018-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law and Banking and Finance Law (2016-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2012-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Matt's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- American Bar Association (Real Property, Probate and Trust Section)
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Exceptional Foundation, Member of Board of Directors
State Bar: Alabama
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
U.S. Bankruptcy Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)