Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Melissa is Of Counsel in Maynard Cooper’s Corporate Section and a member of the Firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions, General Counsel Services, and Fund Formation & Investment Management practice groups.
With a business-minded approach, Melissa focuses her practice on assisting high net worth individuals and business owners with a broad range of corporate matters including tax issues, restructuring, succession planning, investment fund management, and other business-related services. Frequently, Melissa advises clients involved in mergers and acquisitions, providing thorough due diligence, document drafting and review, and strategic counsel through all phases of the negotiation process on both the buy-side and the sell-side.
After earning her J.D. at Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law, where she was honored as a Scholar of Merit in Business Planning, Melissa obtained a Master of Laws in Taxation at the University of Alabama School of Law. She is a graduate of Birmingham-Southern College, where she received her B.A. in English. Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, Melissa practiced law for eight years with a boutique business and tax law firm, and she served as the Trust Officer for the State of Alabama with Branch Banking & Trust (BB&T).
- Mid-South Super Lawyers – Rising Star Lawyer in Tax Law
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Corporate Law, Tax Law (2022)
- Birmingham Magazine – Top Lawyers in Corporate Finance
Melissa's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar Association (Young Lawyers’ Section)
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Member of the Junior Board of the Birmingham Zoo
- Birmingham Community Foundation’s 2020 Professional Partners in Philanthropy Leadership Forum.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Paul Meyers Foundation
- Childcare Resources (former Junior Board Member)
- The Clay House Children’s Advocacy Center (former Junior Board Member)
State Bar: Alabama