Melissa is Of Counsel in Maynard Cooper’s Corporate Section and a member of the Firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions, General Counsel Services, and Fund Formation & Investment Management practice groups.
With a business-minded approach, Melissa focuses her practice on assisting high net worth individuals and business owners with a broad range of corporate matters including tax issues, restructuring, succession planning, investment fund management, and other business-related services. Frequently, Melissa advises clients involved in mergers and acquisitions, providing thorough due diligence, document drafting and review, and strategic counsel through all phases of the negotiation process on both the buy-side and the sell-side.
After earning her J.D. at Samford University’s Cumberland School of Law, where she was honored as a Scholar of Merit in Business Planning, Melissa obtained a Master of Laws in Taxation at the University of Alabama School of Law. She is a graduate of Birmingham-Southern College, where she received her B.A. in English. Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, Melissa practiced law for 8 years with a boutique business and tax law firm, and she served as the Trust Officer for the State of Alabama with Branch Banking & Trust (BB&T).
- Mid-South Super Lawyers – Rising Star Lawyer in Tax Law
- Birmingham Magazine’s – Top Lawyers in Corporate Finance
Melissa's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar Association (Young Lawyers’ Section)
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Member of the Junior Board of the Birmingham Zoo
- Birmingham Community Foundation’s 2020 Professional Partners in Philanthropy Leadership Forum.
- Member of the Steering Committee of the Paul Meyers Foundation
- Childcare Resources (former Junior Board Member)
- The Clay House Children’s Advocacy Center (former Junior Board Member)
University of Alabama School of Law (2012, LL.M. in Taxation)
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University (2010, J.D., Honors in Business Planning)
Birmingham-Southern College (2007, B.A.)