Rob is a Shareholder and member of the Real Estate and Commercial Lending practices at Maynard Cooper.
He has extensive experience in giving real estate advice and performing real estate transactional work for an extensive list of clients. He regularly advises corporations from a wide range of industries on their real estate holdings. Steel, energy, timber, healthcare and pipeline companies have all sought Rob’s advice with regard to their real estate portfolios. His transactional work includes representing sellers and buyers in the acquisition, development, financing and leasing of income-producing properties.
Rob is no stranger to handling the most complex real estate cases. One example is the extensive real estate research of rail lines dating back to the 1880’s that was necessary to make Birmingham’s new $65 million downtown baseball stadium a reality.
If needed, he can also coordinate litigation on his client’s behalf and has done so in multiple cases.
Rob serves on Maynard Cooper’s opinion committee which issues legal opinions and provides counsel for lenders and borrowers in large multi-state transactions.
Rob has been recognized by multiple organizations and award listings for his talents and work as an attorney, including his ranking as a Leading Practitioner in Real Estate by the coveted Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. He is consistently listed in The Best Lawyers in America©, including being named Best Lawyers® 2014 Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year,” a designation only given to one lawyer in a region.
He received his J.D. from the University of Alabama School of Law, and he holds a B.A. from Birmingham-Southern College.
- Represented lender in the workout of a non-recourse loan secured by a 500,000 square foot shopping mall, including the negotiation and consummation of (i) a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure agreement with the obligors; (ii) the acquisition of the shopping mall by a third party purchaser via deed-in-lieu of foreclosure; and (iii) re-financing by the lender for such third party purchaser’s acquisition of the shopping mall.
- Represented natural gas and petroleum pipeline companies with various real estate issues relating to pipelines.
- Represented United States Steel in sale of coal mine and related real property interests.
- Represented CitiGroup in foreclosing shopping center and following the foreclosure, assisted it with its ownership issues of the foreclosed shopping center including, tenant matters, litigation involving previous owner, rehabilitation of center and marketing and sale of center.
- Represented Heritage Property Investment Trust, a national REIT, in acquiring and later selling two shopping centers in Montgomery Alabama.
- Represented federal saving bank in development and sale of retail commercial site, including zoning and subdivision work.
- Member of team of lawyers at the Firm that handled acquisition and development of two hotels with convention/conference centers, hotel and parking garage, development issues at resort hotel and negotiating joint venture for resort residential community development with regional developer.
- Represented owner in sale of an 850 acre tract of land in Montgomery, Alabama to be acquired in stages, negotiating terms of option, development agreement and cross easements for utilities and access; also represented same owner in purchasing two office buildings under 1031 exchange.
- Represented Anniston-Calhoun County Fort McClellan Development Joint Powers Authority in creating contracts and leases for lands formerly comprising Ft. McClellan.
- Represented national telephone company in sale of its real estate holdings throughout Alabama.
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Real Estate (2003-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Real Estate Law (1995-present)
- Best Lawyers® 2014 “Lawyer of the Year” for Real Estate
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2008-2015)
- The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers (2013)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Rob’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- American College of Mortgage Attorneys, Fellow
- American Bar Association; Member Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Alabama State Bar Association; Past Chair of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Kiwanis Club of Birmingham