Starr devotes her practice to assisting multinational clients with their privacy, cybersecurity, information governance, and e-discovery needs.
Starr has extensive experience in developing globally compliant privacy and information governance policies and programs to manage the content and volume of data and protect its safety and security. Starr is particularly equipped to support organizations with GDPR and California Consumer Privacy Act compliance. The International Association of Privacy Professionals, the only globally-recognized credentialing program in information privacy, has certified Starr in privacy program management (“CIPM”), European data protection (“CIPP/E”), and as a Fellow of Information Privacy (“FIP”). Starr also serves on the International Association of Privacy Professionals Certification Advisory Board and is an Adjunct Professor at the University of Alabama School of Law.
Starr has successfully developed internationally-compliant privacy and information governance plans and polices for government contractors, banks, insurers, manufacturers, retailers, brokerage firms, and more. She has assisted organizations with implementation and training to ensure organizational compliance with plans and policies after development. Starr has also developed numerous consumer-facing terms and policies for websites, smart device applications, and IoT devices.
Starr helps clients assess privacy and cybersecurity risks associated with potential acquisition targets. She also assists clients with resolving brandjacking, username squatting, and other intellectual property issues related to control over their online and social media presence.
In her e-discovery practice, Starr offers strategic and legal advice to clients involved in complex litigation matters. She assists both plaintiff and defendant businesses and individuals in numerous fields navigate multifaceted discovery issues and reach successful resolutions in their antitrust, commercial, contract, fiduciary, and intellectual property disputes.
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for E-Discovery (2016-present)
- Birmingham Business Journal‘s “Rising Stars In Law” (2018)
- B-Metro Magazine “Top Women Lawyers” (2018)
- Selected as a Fellow of Information Privacy, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum – Class 12
- Birmingham Bar Association Future Leaders Forum (2015)
- B-Metro Magazine “Rising Star of the Birmingham Bar” (2013)
Starr’s Affiliations & Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association, Women Lawyers Section Board Treasurer
- Alabama State Bar Strategic Planning Task Force, Chair
- Florida State Bar Association
- Georgia State Bar Association
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Board of Governors for City Club of Birmingham
- Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program
- The Rotaract Club of Birmingham
- WBHM Junior Advisory Board
- Indian Springs School Alumni Council
- IAPP Certification Advisory Appeals Board
- Sedona Conference Working Group 11
- The Alabama Data Breach Notification Act of 2018
- California’s Sweeping New Law Set to Dramatically Shift Privacy Landscape
- “Responding to GDPR Pushback: The Business Case for Compliance” – International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Privacy Statement Deficiencies Could Have Greater Consequences in 2018
- One Year Until GDPR; Is Your Organization Prepared?
Starr’s Speaking Engagements
February 1, 2019: “Automation and Appellate Advocacy,” Cumberland Law Review Symposium (Birmingham, AL)
November 15, 2018: “GDPR Compliance,” ControlCase 2018 Data Security and Compliance Summit (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
August 24, 2018: “Navigating the Wild West of Online Privacy in a Rapidly Changing Legal Landscape,” Birmingham Bar Association CLE (Birmingham, AL)
June 28, 2018: “Privacy and Data Security Law: an Overview,” Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting (Sandestin, FL)
April 17, 2018: “Data Privacy and Security Laws: Their Broad Reach and Enforcement.” Birmingham Bar Association Women Lawyers Section CLE (Birmingham, AL)
April 10, 2018: “GDPR Overview and Discussion,” IAPP Birmingham KnowledgeNet Chapter Meeting (Birmingham, AL)
August 24, 2017: “ESI,” Alabama State Bar Lawyer University (Montgomery, AL)
Judge James E. Graham
Southern District of Georgia