Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard) has earned the distinction of a Highly Recommended Litigation Firm and Highly Recommended Labor & Employment Firm in the recently released 2023 edition of Benchmark Litigation, the definitive guide spotlighting the nation’s leading law firms and litigators. The list of Maynard lawyers recognized in the...Read More
Stephanie is a Shareholder in Maynard's Labor & Employment Practice. She has experience defending public and private employers ranging from large manufacturers to municipalities, poultry processing facilities, health care providers, large retail companies, post-secondary colleges, and small businesses. She represents clients in litigation and federal agency proceedings and provides training, day-to-day legal advice, and pragmatic solutions that are tailored to meet her clients' needs.
Stephanie's practice consists of representing management and advising clients in all aspects of the employment relationship, including EEOC charges and cases arising under Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act and the Family and Medical Leave Act. She also assists clients in drafting employment policies and employee handbooks and conducting internal investigations.
Among her experience in both federal and state courts, Stephanie defended a complex eight-week jury trial in federal district court in which the jury awarded less than 3% of the damages sought. She also tried a three-week case in Circuit Court in Bessemer, Alabama, with a jury verdict returned in favor of the defendant, her client.
Stephanie is recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© and Super Lawyers for Litigation: Labor and Employment. She was included in the 2016 and 2018 Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List," an elite accolade honoring the achievements of the nation's most accomplished legal partners who are 40 years old or younger. In addition, Stephanie was recognized by the Birmingham Business Journal as a 2017 "Rising Star Lawyer."
"Stephanie Mays is smart, charismatic and very responsive. "
"She is incredibly responsive and a pleasure to work with."
"Stephanie is a fierce advocate for her clients."
- On an going basis, advises senior management of national corporations and regional businesses in all aspects of the employment relationship, drafts employment policies and employee handbooks, conducts internal investigations, develops and delivers anti-discrimination, anti-harassment and management training procedures
- Eight-week jury trial in Northern District of Alabama federal court; at the time this was the largest FLSA claim ever brought by the United States Department of Labor; trial centered on $8 million in overtime for poultry workers and resulted in a successful outcome for the client in which the jury awarded less than 3 percent of damages sought and found no record keeping violation
- Three-week wrongful death jury trial in Bessemer, Alabama, Circuit Court, with a verdict in favor of defendant
- Defended client against driver’s claims for compensation in bench trial in Montgomery, Alabama, District Court, with verdict in favor of defendant
- Three-day Equal Pay Act and race discrimination jury trial in Middle District of Alabama federal court with a verdict in favor of defendant
- Obtained complete summary judgment in Middle District of Alabama federal court case involving termination of police officer who alleged race discrimination, violation of consent decree, First Amendment violations and retaliatory hostile work environment after she was disciplined for posting racially provocative statements on Facebook and terminated for insubordination after she used police vehicle to block her fiancé’s car in the driveway of her residence and refused several instructions by superior officers to move the vehicle
- Chambers USA for Labor & Employment (2018-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Litigation: Labor and Employment (2018 - Present), Employment Law - Management, Labor Law - Management (2023)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Leaders in Diversity" honoree (2021)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Employment and Labor Law (2016-present)
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation
- Recognized as a "Labor & Employment Star" by Benchmark Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation "Under 40 Hot List" (2016, 2018 and 2019)
- Birmingham Business Journal's "Rising Star Lawyers" (2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers Rising Star for Employment & Labor (2012); Employment & Labor (2013-2015)
- Southern Region Lawyers of Color Hot List (2013)
- American Law Institute - American Bar Association Award
- National Association of Women's Lawyers Award
Stephanie's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama Lawyers Association
- Birmingham Bar Association, Birmingham Bar Association Future Leaders Forum, Class of 2010
- Magic City Bar Association, Past Corresponding Secretary and Recording Secretary
- Alabama State Bar 2014 Leadership Forum, Character and Fitness Committee
- YWCA Board Member (2021)
- Cumberland School of Law Advisory Board (2015 - present)
- The Women's Fund Development Committee Member (2020)
- The Women's Fund, SMART Party Co-Chair (2017)
- UAB Minority Health & Research Center YP Board (2008 - 2013)
Stephanie's Speaking Engagements
- "Diversity in the Workplace," presenter, Cumberland School of Law Employment Law Seminar (12/17/21)
- 'Birmingham Stands Together' Legal Leaders in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Series, panelist, Regions Bank (12/9/21)
- “Valuing Diversity: How to Hire, Support and Retain Historically Underrepresented Attorneys,” panelist, American Bar Association L&E Conference (11/11/21)
- "African American Women Attorneys Navigating the Law and Corporate America," panelist, Alabama Lawyers Association CLE (2020)
- "Unconscious Bias in the Legal Profession," presenter, Birmingham Bar Association webinar (2020)
- "Flattening the Curve: A Discussion on the Importance and Role of Black Women Lawyers in Driving Diversity and Equality in The Legal Profession," presenter, Magic City Bar Association Social Distancing CLE series (2020)
- "Best Practices in Conducting Internal Workplace Investigations," 64th Annual Human Resources Management Conference (10/26/18)
State Bar: Alabama
U.S. District Court: Tennessee (Western)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
Maynard is pleased to announce that 200 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2023 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 11 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 56 of the Firm’s younger attorneys who are recognized...Read More
Maynard is pleased to announce that forty-three attorneys and twelve areas of practice are recognized by Chambers and Partners in its Chambers USA Guide 2022, the world’s leading provider of law firm research and analytics. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking...Read More