Stephen is a Shareholder and a member of the Firm’s Real Estate and Financial Services Practice Group. His expansive practice is national in scope and includes representation of buyers, sellers, developers, landlords and tenants in all types of real estate matters, including acquisition, development, financing and leasing matters. Stephen also represents banks and borrowers in secured and unsecured financing transactions.
Stephen has received numerous distinctions for his talents and work as an attorney, including the coveted ranking by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a Leading Practitioner in Real Estate Law, a distinction he has earned every year since 2013. He is also consistently listed in Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers®.
Stephen and his wife, Allison, reside in Birmingham with their two boys, Henry and Bo.
“He is my go-to guy there for real estate…. very well regarded… probably the best real estate lawyer in the state.” – Client Testimonial
- Represents a national bank in the sale of notes, the acquisition and development of bank facilities and the sale of surplus properties
- Represented a pension plan in the lease-up of Alabama’s tallest office building
- Represented a national bank in the re-finance of a portfolio of 35 restaurants in nine states
- Represented the City of Birmingham in the development of its new minor league baseball stadium
- Represented a major for-profit education institution in the leasing of over 75 leased office and school facilities nationwide
- Represents the developer for the world’s largest retailer in the development of new retail sites.
- Represented a developer in the $50,000,000 acquisition, redevelopment and subsequent sale of the 50-acre site of the Southeast’s first indoor shopping mall
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in $60 million sale and partial leaseback of a 140,000 square foot office tower in Miami, Florida
- Represented a publicly traded global logistics company in lease of 160,000 square feet of industrial space in Houston, Texas
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner in Real Estate (2013-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Banking and Finance Law and Real Estate Law (2012-present)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2016-present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers for Real Estate (2014-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Stephen's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- American Bar Association, Real Property and Business Law Sections
- United Way’s Financial Services Division, Campaign Chair – 2015
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Corporate Campaign Leadership Team – 2020
University of Alabama School of Law (1996, J.D., Alabama Law Review, Senior Editor)
University of Alabama (1993, B.S., Economics; magna cum laude; Jasons Senior Honor Society)