Stephen is a member of the firm’s Governmental and Regulatory Affairs Practice Group. This experienced team is responsible for representing Maynard Cooper’s clients before legislative, regulatory, and governmental bodies, including the U.S. Congress, departments and agencies of the federal government, the Alabama State Legislature and departments and agencies of state and local government. He has extensive experience working in Washington, D.C., Montgomery, Alabama and numerous other states.
In addition to representing insurers with state regulatory matters, Stephen represents a wide-range of clients with diverse business interests, most of which are heavily monitored by federal and state regulatory agencies. Clients include banks, savings and loans providers, insurers and related financial services institutions, as well as health insurers, hospitals, physicians, and other healthcare providers. Stephen’s clients seek his experience and success record appearing before the U.S. Congress and state and federal regulatory agencies, including the Department of Treasury, the Federal Reserve Bank, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and state banking and insurance regulatory agencies, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and other governmental bodies. In addition, Stephen represents numerous clients with manufacturing and distribution interests before the U.S. Congress and federal agencies and departments.
Prior To Maynard Cooper
Stephen served as Vice President and Associate General Counsel of Torchmark Corporation for nine years where he managed all federal, state and local government affairs for the company. Prior to joining Torchmark, he served as Associate Vice President of Sonat for ten years where he also managed all corporate governmental affairs activities. Thus, Stephen has the unique experience of having managed the governmental affairs operations for what were at the time two of the largest publicly held corporations headquartered in Alabama.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Governmental Relations Practice (2007-present)
- Best Lawyers® “Lawyer of the Year,” Government Relations Practice, Birmingham (2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
- The Still Ambassadorial Award, awarded by the Business Council of Alabama
Stephen's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Federation of Regulatory Counsel (only Alabama member)
- Alabama Association of Life Insurance Companies, Former President
- Alabama Life and Disability Guaranty Association, Former Chairman
- Alabama Insurance Planning Commission, Former Member of Board of Directors
- Business Council of Alabama, Former Member of Board of Directors
- Inaugural recipient of The Still Ambassadorial Award
- Globe Life Insurance Company of New York, Board of Directors
- Florida Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association, Former Member Board of Directors
- Leadership Council of the University of Alabama Law Alumni Society
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association