Steve is a corporate lawyer and serves as Co-Chair of both the Firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions and Healthcare/Physician Practice Integration Transactions practice groups.
He represents sellers and purchasers in transactions involving private equity platform and add-on acquisitions, strategic acquisitions and divestitures, and other M&A transactions and similar combinations across a wide-range of industry sectors, with specialized expertise and non-exclusive concentrations in the health care, insurance, and transportation industries. He also advises clients in the information technology, manufacturing, engineering, and services sectors.
With more than 20 years of experience, Steve provides general counsel services for a number of the Firm’s clients and regularly advises them with respect to joint ventures, corporate reorganizations, services, and supply agreements, licensing agreements, contractual relationships, employment issues, financings, entity formation and planning, strategic planning and objectives, and other business and personal matters. Steve utilizes his prior experience as a litigator in commercial disputes and class action defense in both federal and state courts to represent clients in significant pre-litigation disputes, often resulting in favorable, negotiated outcomes for his clients prior to the institution of litigation.
Steve’s vast experience in the health care sector has earned him distinguished recognition as a Leading Practitioner in Healthcare Law by Chambers USA, America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. He is included in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Mergers and Acquisitions Law and Health Care Law, and holds a preeminent AV rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
Steve is a transactional guy, so he was involved in high level thinking of how to approach this and how to engage other participants. He is top notch, a very good lawyer. – Client Testimonial
“Steve is super smart. He has great technical skill, and is highly responsive and thoughtful. He gives great customer service and has helped us through tremendous transactions.”
“He is very knowledgeable, and is an ultimate professional who brings a depth of industry experience. He is also extremely responsive on time-sensitive matters.”
“Steve is a brilliant tactician, more dedicated to outstanding results than even me as the client, and is tireless in pursuit of technical correctness. He is highly skilled, his grasp of corporate and transactional law is without peer but even more impressive a man for his ethics and sincerity.”
- Represented Action Resources, Inc. and its affiliates in its corporate restructuring transaction awarded Industrials Deal of the Year (Over $100MM) by The M&A Advisor, 13th Annual Turnaround Awards.
- Represented Gastroenterology Associates of Northern Virginia, Ltd., a leading gastroenterology practice located in Northern Virginia, and its physician-shareholders in the sale of equity to (and rollover equity transaction with) Gastro Health, LLC, a large gastroenterology services provider backed by Audax Group
- Represented Surgical Care Affiliates, a part of Optum and UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH), in its acquisition of Fresenius Medical Care’s majority ownership interest in a joint venture that manages and operates Pacific Cardiovascular Associates Medical Group, a large cardiology group in the greater Los Angeles area
- Represented Southeast Gastro, a leading gastroenterology practice located in greater Birmingham, Alabama, and its physician-shareholders in the sale of equity to (and rollover equity transaction with) Gastro Health, LLC.
- Represented Brookwood Endodontics, P.C. and its shareholders in their sale to, and rollover equity transaction with, HighFive Dental, LLC, an investor-backed full-service dental provider
- Represented Florence Ophthalmology, P.C. and its physician shareholders in the sale of equity to, and rollover equity transaction with, Eye Care Partners, LLC, a leading eyecare services provider sponsored by FFL Partners that operates in 11 states
- Represented RxBenefits, Inc., a leading strategic provider of pharmacy benefit procurement and administration and advocacy services for consultants on behalf of employers and their benefit plan participants, in all aspects of its business, including its recapitalization transaction with a subsidiary of Great Hill Partners
- Represented Baptist Health System in the five-hospital joint venture transaction with Brookwood Health System (a subsidiary of Tenet Health) in the Birmingham/Central, Alabama region, creating one of the largest health systems in the State of Alabama
- Represented Bonnie Plants, Inc. in its multi-step joint venture transaction with The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
- Represented Med-South, Inc., the largest durable medical equipment provider in Alabama, in its joint venture transaction with The Health Care Authority of Alabama d/b/a HealthGroup of Alabama (an affiliation of seven hospitals located in North Alabama).
- Represented Building & Earth Sciences, Inc., a multi-state geotechnical engineering firm, in its acquisition of a Montgomery, Alabama based engineering firm
- Represented leading, direct-to-consumer, nutraceutical company and its shareholders in connection with its sale to a private equity purchaser
- Represented multi-state provider of hospice and palliative care services in connection with the sale of stock to a private equity purchaser
- Represented large Alabama health system in strategic divestiture of certain of its hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, fitness/wellness centers and related assets
- Represented Delta Medical Center, a 243-bed hospital in Memphis, Tennessee, and its shareholders (via an ESOP) in connection with the sale of stock to an affiliate of Acadia Healthcare Company, Inc. (NASDAQ: ACHC)
- Represented The Cardiovascular Group, P.C. and its cardiologists, located in Lawrenceville, Georgia, in connection with the integration of their practice with and into an affiliate of Gwinnett Health System
- Represented Albany Associates in Cardiology, a division of Prime Care Physicians, a large multi-specialty practice located in Albany, New York, in connection with the integration of its practice with and into an affiliate of St. Peter’s Health Partners
- Represented North Central Heart Institute, P.C. and its physicians, located in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, in connection with the integration of their practice with the Avera Heart Hospital
- Represented Gastrointestinal Specialists, P.C. and its physicians, located in Memphis, Tennessee, in connection with the integration of their practice, including a wholly owned Ambulatory Surgery Center, with and into an affiliate of Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation
- Represented Lehigh Valley Cardiology Associates and its physicians, located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in connection with the integration of their practice with and into the Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Represented Piedmont Cardiology Associates and its cardiologists, located in Hickory, North Carolina, in connection with the integration of their practice with and into Frye Regional Medical Center, Inc. (a Tenet hospital)
- Represented Cardiology Consultants of Johnson City, P.C. and its cardiologists, of Johnson City, Tennessee, in connection with the integration of their practice with and into an affiliate of Mountain States Health Alliance
- Represented Cardiovascular Consultants of Cape Girardeau, P.C. and its cardiologists, of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, in connection with the integration of their practice with and into SoutheastHEALTH
- Represented Connecticut Heart & Vascular Center, P.C. and its cardiologists, of Bridgeport, Connecticut, in connection with the integration of their practice into PriMed, LLC, a large multi-specialty group practice with over 35 locations
- Represented Cardiovascular Associates, S.C. of suburban Chicago, Illinois and its cardiologists regarding the integration of their practice with Alexian Brothers Health System and its affiliates
- Represented Hickory Cardiology Associates, PLLC d/b/a Western Piedmont Heart Centers of Hickory, North Carolina and its cardiologists regarding their integration with and into Frye Regional Medical Center, Inc. (a Tenet Hospital)
- Represented The Stern Cardiovascular Center, P.A. of Memphis, Tennessee and its cardiologists in connection with the integration of their practice with and into an affiliate of Baptist Memorial Health Care Corporation
- Represented Cardiovascular Associates, P.S.C. of Louisville, Kentucky and its cardiologists in connection with the integration of their practice with and into an affiliate of Norton Healthcare, Inc.
- Represented Consultants in Cardiology, P.A. of Fort Worth, Texas and its cardiologists in connection with the integration of their practice with and into an affiliate of Texas Health Resources
- Represented Appleton Cardiology Associates, P.C. of Appleton, Wisconsin and its physicians in connection with the integration of their practice with/into ThedaCare, Inc.
- Represented Cardiology Associates of Waterbury, P.C. of Waterbury, Connecticut and its cardiologists in connection with the integration of their practice with and into an affiliate of The Waterbury Hospital
- Represented West Suburban Cardiologists, Ltd. d/b/a Illinois Heart & Vascular of Chicago, Illinois and its cardiologists in connection with the integration of their practice with and into an affiliate of Adventist Health System
- Represented Heart and Vascular Clinic of Northern Colorado d/b/a Heart Center of the Rockies of Fort Collins, Colorado and its physicians in connection with the integration of their practice with and into Poudre Valley Health System
- Represented West Michigan Heart, P.C. of Grand Rapids, Michigan, in connection with its integration with and into Spectrum Health System
- Chambers USA, Leading Practitioner for Healthcare (2017-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2018 – present) and Health Care Law (2020)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for Business/Corporate (2011)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Steve's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association, Business Law and Health Law Sections
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association (Physician Organizations Practice Group, Business Law and Governance Practice Group)
Steve's Speaking Engagements
- July 23, 2019, Private Equity Investment in Gastroenterology 2.0 (Co-hosted with Provident Healthcare Partners): https://www.providenthp.com/expertise/private-equity-investment-in-gastroenterology-2-0/
- October 27-29, 2016, panelist at the Signature Medical Group’s BPCI Annual Conference, Dallas, TX
University of Alabama School of Law (1997, J.D., Alabama Law Review, Senior Editor)
University of Pennsylvania (1990-1991, Wharton Undergraduate School of Business)