DES MOINES, IA (March 17, 2022) — Maynard & Gale (Maynard) adds brick and mortar to its presence in Des Moines, Iowa, with a downtown office in 801 Grand, Iowa’s tallest building. The move is part of an ongoing strategy to strengthen Maynard’s presence in the Midwest, where many of...Read More
Tom Goodhue defends clients in antitrust, consumer protection, business, and estate disputes, drawing on his broad commercial litigation experience and background as a Federal Trade Commission trial lawyer. His experience includes defending clients in disputes involving, among other things, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, FTC Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Sherman Act, and Clayton Act. Throughout his career, Tom has represented clients in heavily regulated industries, helping them navigate civil investigations, disciplinary actions, and administrative hearings. Recently, he has represented clients in matters before the FTC, the Department of Justice, the Department of Education, the Iowa Utilities Board, the Iowa Dental Board, and other agencies. A Shareholder, Tom practices from Des Moines, Iowa, and strengthens Maynard’s presence in the Midwest where many of our clients are headquartered.
Tom practiced law in Washington, D.C. for 11 years before returning to his Iowa roots. Des Moines is a growing hub for financial services, insurance, agriculture, and energy. Tom leverages his experience in these industries, along with his litigation and administrative background, to represent clients nationally.
Tom earned his J.D. from the University of Iowa College of Law and holds a Bachelors, magna cum laude, from Haverford College, where he was selected to Phi Beta Kappa.
- F.T.C. v. FTN Promotions, Inc., No. 8:07-CV-1279-T-30TGW, 2014 WL 197718, at *1 (M.D. Fla. Jan. 13, 2014) – Obtained judgment of $15 million on behalf of consumers following trial in successful action against business posing as a pay day loan company.
- Heartland Co-op v. Nelson, 938 N.W.2d 722 (Iowa Ct. App. 2019) – Obtained a jury verdict for over $800,000 in action for breach of contract.
- PHEAA v. Libbie (Iowa District Ct. June, 2021) – Lead counsel in action obtaining summary judgment awarding damages for breach of contract and attorneys’ fees.
- Sewell v. Am. Educ. Servs./PHEAA, 670 F. App'x 184 (4th Cir. 2016) – Represented student loan company in successful defense of Fair Credit Reporting Act claims.
- REG Washington, LLC v. Bush, 952 N.W.2d 329 (Iowa Ct. App. 2020) – Obtained summary judgment on behalf of client in action arising from share purchase agreement.
- Ann Chae v. SLM Corp., No. CV 07-2319-ER(RCX), 2008 WL 11343020 (C.D. Cal. Feb. 22, 2008) – Represented student loan company in successful defense against various consumer law claims in a class action dispute with hundreds of millions of dollars at issue.
- Represented businesses and individuals in investigations and matters before the Iowa Utilities Board, Iowa Dental Board, Iowa Attorney General’s Office, Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board, and Iowa Department of Revenue.
- Led FTC investigation of an office supply scam in which several individuals defrauded consumers of more than $120 million over several decades, which ultimately resulted in criminal convictions.
- Brought multiple successful administrative actions against companies for violating the FTC’s “Green Guides,” which sets standards for making “green” advertising claims.
- Advise companies on compliance with the FTC Act, the FTC’s Green Guides, and Made in the USA and other labelling requirements.
- Miminco, LLC v. Democratic Republic of the Congo, 79 F. Supp. 3d 213 (D.D.C. 2015) - Obtained confirmation of an arbitral award rendered under the Convention on the Settlement of Investment Disputes Between States and Nations, in a groundbreaking decision.
- Represented the United Republic of Tanzania in an international investment arbitration filed under the United Kingdom-Tanzania Bilateral Investment Treaty alleging (i) expropriation, (ii) discrimination (denial of fair and equal treatment), and (iii) denial of justice.
- Great Plains Super Lawyers – Business Litigation (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation (2023)
Thomas's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Haverford College Corporation (governing body of the college) (2016 – 2017)
- Haverford College Lawyers Network (2016 – present)
- Washington Friends Meeting, Board of Trustees (2016 – 2017)
- Vice Chair, Mediation Subcommittee of American Bar Association (2017-2020)
- Reporter, International Bar Association Committee on Rules (2016 – 2017)
- Contributor, ABA Consumer Law Developments, 2014
- When a “Tribunal” is Not a “Tribunal: Obtaining Discovery in Aid of International Commercial Arbitration, International Bar Association North American Regional Forum, 2016
- Trans-Pacific Partnership Calls for International Arbitration of Disputes, Daily Business Review, 2016
- Bypassing the Federal Arbitration Act’s Three-Year Statute of Limitations, International Arbitration News, 2015
- Wikipedia Dispute Resolution, American Bar Association Commercial & Business Litigation Newsletter, 2011
- Appellate Review of Remand Orders: A Substantive/Jurisdictional Conundrum, Iowa Law Review, 2006
Thomas's Speaking Engagements
- May 2022: "Effective Mediation for Your Clients – Practical Insights for Every Stage of the Mediation"
- April 2022: "FTC’s Prohibition on Unfair and Deceptive Marketing Practices: What You Need to Know"
- April 2020: panel presentation Consumer Litigation Developments (Des Moines, Iowa)
- February 2020: panel presentation Estate Law Developments (West Des Moines, Iowa)
- January 2019: presentation Drafting Arbitration Clauses (Des Moines, Iowa)
- February 2018: panel presentation Iowa Business Litigation Developments (Des Moines, Iowa)
- May 2015: presentation Greenwashing and The FTC’s Green Guides (George Washington University, Washington, D.C.)
State Bar: Iowa, Maryland
U.S. Court of Appeals: Fourth Circuit, Eighth Circuit
Maynard & Gale (Maynard) is pleased to announce that Angel West and Thomas Goodhue have joined the Firm as Shareholders in the Litigation Practice. “We are excited to have Angel and Tom join our talented team of litigators,” said William Wahlheim, Chair of the Firm’s Litigation Section. “Their background and...Read More