Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 179 of the Firm’s attorneys have been recognized in the 2022 edition of The Best Lawyers in America©, including 17 who are distinguished as “Lawyer of the Year” in their respective areas of expertise and 48 of the Firm’s younger attorneys...Read More
Tommy’s practice covers a variety of litigation at both the trial and appellate levels.
He has defended clients in the health care and education industries against claims brought under the False Claims Act and has represented individual, corporate, and governmental clients across a wide range of court proceedings, including federal and state-level appeals, commercial and employment disputes, and criminal prosecutions. Additionally, having served as a law clerk to Justice Jay Mitchell at the Supreme Court of Alabama, Tommy is uniquely qualified to provide counsel to clients litigating appeals in Alabama’s highest court.
Tommy has been named to the Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum and was recognized in The Best Lawyers in America’s 2022 list of Ones to Watch. Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, Tommy served as a law clerk for the United States Senate Judiciary Committee and an intern for the Honorable R. David Proctor in the Northern District of Alabama. Before attending law school, Tommy served as a Surface Warfare Officer, Public Affairs Officer, and admiral’s aide in the United States Navy.
- Naftel v. State ex rel. Driggars, No. 1200755, 2022 WL 497474 (Ala. Feb. 18, 2022) (successfully defended client's judicial appointment against constitutional challenge)
- Craig & Landreth Cars Inc. v. Protective Life Corp., No. 2020-CA-0119, 2021 WL 1431870 (Ky. Ct. App. Apr. 16, 2021) (successfully defended trial court’s dismissal of plaintiffs’ tort and contract claims against client)
- Protective Life Ins. Co. v. Apex Parks Grp., LLC, No. 1180508, 2020 WL 5582229 (Ala. Sept. 18, 2020) (obtained reversal of $11.4 million jury verdict against client and rendering of judgment for client as matter of law)
- United States v. Parker, 696 F. App’x 443 (11th Cir. 2017) (as special prosecutor, successfully defended the trial court’s contempt order against city police chief)
- Mays Mining, Inc. v. Nexgen Extractions, No. 6:20-CV-1723, 2021 WL 2139059 (N.D. Ala. May 26, 2021 (obtained dismissal of plaintiff’s fraud claims)
- Milner v. Team Health, No. 2:19-CV-2041, 2020 WL 5658903 (N.D. Ala. Sept. 23, 2020) (obtained dismissal of employment discrimination and False Claims Act claims brought against hospital)
- United States ex rel. Gilbert v. Virginia College, LLC, 305 F. Supp. 3d 1315 (N.D. Ala. 2018) (obtained dismissal of False Claims Act claims brought against educational institution)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Corporate Governance and Compliance Law, Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2022)
- Alabama State Bar 2020 Leadership Forum
State Bar: Alabama
U.S. District Court: Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
U.S. Court of Appeals: Eleventh Circuit
Maynard Cooper’s Edward O’Neal and Tommy Buck were named to the 2020 Leadership Forum of the Alabama State Bar. The Alabama State Bar selects a small class of 30 attorneys each year to participate in a rigorous education and training process focusing on servant leadership, ethics, and career development. From...Read More