U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers®, collaboratively for the 12th consecutive year, announced the “Best Law Firms” rankings for 2022. Maynard is distinguished as a National Top Tier firm in numerous areas of law, including the Tier I rankings for our Patent Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation practices...Read More
Maynard Cooper has an established track record of winning high stakes cases and successfully navigating business disputes on both sides of the “v”. Maynard Cooper’s approach to business litigation is measured, relentless, and driven by comprehensive strategy developed at the onset of cases. We play offense and our creative, aggressive approach often yields significant recoveries in favor of clients initially named as defendants.
Recognized by BTI Consulting Group among the top 48 law firms in the country for commercial litigation and one of the 37 most feared law firms in litigation, Maynard Cooper’s business litigation group is battle-tested across the Firm’s national footprint. Our expertise is broad and our trial lawyers have litigated bet-the-company cases in a wide range of industries. Shareholders in Maynard Cooper’s business litigation group are consistently recognized for their skills by Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers and Chambers. Our lawyers are also listed as Top 100 “Bet the Company” Litigators.
Representative affirmative recovery cases include:
- Nine figure settlement in fraud-in-the inducement case on behalf of seller in business acquisition dispute.
- Eight figure settlement on behalf of corporate minority shareholder in oppression and squeeze out case.
- Eight figure settlement in fraud case arising from the sale and acquisition of emerging technology business.
- Eight figure settlement after six week bench trial related to earn out provision and fraud claims arising out of asset purchase transaction.
- $13M verdict in commercial fraud dispute after three-week trial.
- Plaintiff’s verdict, including punitive damages and attorneys’ fees, on behalf of majority shareholder of privately held business facing hostile takeover action by competing interests.
- Nine figure settlement in tortious interference case arising from proposed sale of privately held secondary securities.
Representative defense cases:
- Complete defense verdict for national petroleum pipeline operator after 7 day jury trial
- Summary judgment on behalf of majority shareholder and board of directors of billion-dollar privately held company in bet-the-company litigation brought by minority shareholders after recapitalization of company’s stock.
- Summary judgment on behalf of founding shareholders and provider of healthcare services to a Latin American government in a fraud and RICO case pending in federal district court and involving three related state court proceedings.
- Settlement on behalf of national pharmaceutical cooperative in seminal opioid case filed by the State of West Virginia.
Representative current matters:
- Serving as national counsel to clients in the Opioid and Blue Cross Blue Shield MDL’s pending in Ohio and Alabama, respectively.
- Defending international merchant bank against tortious interference claims in Delaware Superior Court arising out of alleged $300M secondary sale of privately held securities.
- Prosecuting claims against international cryptocurrency firm in Delaware arising from Initial Coin Offering
- Prosecuting claims against foreign private equity firm and others for recovery of $30+ million brokerage fee.
- Defending billion-dollar private company in class action and opt-out cases arising out of wildfire damage in Florida.
A more comprehensive listing can be found under the biographical information of our lawyers.