Maynard Cooper’s Economic Development and Incentives team works on behalf of companies, both domestic and international, that are considering locating, expanding and restructuring their business operations in Alabama and throughout the Southeast United States. The State of Alabama has become an attractive focus for the location and expansion of all types of manufacturing, aerospace and technology companies which are eligible for substantial incentives and abatements at the state and local levels. From early stage incentive packages to site selection and plant construction, our multidisciplinary team approach enables our firm to handle any size project from the existing plant expansion to the greenfield development. Maynard Cooper has been fortunate enough to be heavily involved in most of Alabama’s major economic development projects, including over $5 billion of investment in Alabama just since 2016.
Maynard Cooper has handled economic development projects for a wide range of businesses including:
- The single largest Japanese OEM joint venture automotive project in North America in 2018 with over $1.6 billion of investment and 4,000 employees
- One of the world’s largest technology companies in its location of a $1 billion data center in the State of Alabama
- An advanced manufacturing rocket engine company’s relocation of its new plant and defense headquarters from California to north Alabama
- One of the world’s largest defense contractors in pursuit of U.S. Department of Defense in-air refueling tanker program
- Major arms manufacturing company’s facility relocation from New York to Alabama, with over 2,000 employees
- One of the world’s largest metal stamping suppliers to Mercedes, Volkswagen and Freightliner location and expansion in Jefferson County, with total investment of over $1 billion
- One of the world’s largest publicly traded cement siding and gypsum board manufacturers in its greenfield site selection
Maynard Cooper frequently negotiates project agreements and procures valuable incentive and financing packages from the state and local governments in which these industries locate. We also advise companies on site selection, immigration, corporate, tax, real estate, environmental permitting and utility issues, as well as related tax-exempt and taxable bond financings.
Navigating the incentive programs and creating a favorable environment for successful project development is what Maynard Cooper’s Economic Development and Incentives practice does for the firm’s clients. Our attorneys, governmental affairs specialists and business consultants work seamlessly and tirelessly to advocate on behalf of clients spanning a wide range of industry sectors to secure state, regional, county and city level incentives. The relationships we have built with municipality leaders, government officials, industrial development boards, economic development agencies, port authorities and utility companies, just to name a few, arm us with the knowledge, experience, contacts and opportunity to negotiate beneficial incentive packages to suit our clients’ needs. We ensure that all possibilities are examined and benefits are maximized.
Maynard Cooper is a long-time member of Manufacture Alabama, a Strategic Partner of the Economic Development Partnership of Alabama as well as a supporter of the Birmingham Business Alliance. We have also worked closely with the State of Alabama Finance Department, the Alabama Department of Commerce and the Alabama Industrial Development Training.
National law firm opens tenth office with the addition of Nashville-based McKenzie Laird Ottinger + Leach Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard Cooper) has expanded its national footprint to Tennessee with the opening of a Nashville office and the addition of…
Maynard Cooper’s Lauren DeMoss and Leland Murphree were named “Rising Stars of Law” by the Birmingham Business Journal (BBJ) for 2019. The list highlights talented lawyers in the Birmingham area selected for their contributions to their firms and their potential to…