Maynard Cooper’s Government and Regulatory Affairs Practice Group offers results-oriented, cost-effective advocacy to the Firm’s diverse client list. We represent small business and Fortune 100 companies in every sector to include the aerospace, construction, energy, financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, and technology industries, as well as government entities.
Recognizing that successful businesses need a partner to manage government relations that could directly impact their daily operations and long-range outlook, Maynard Cooper has a deep bench of experienced lawyers and government relations professionals working to help companies navigate today’s complex legislative and regulatory environment. Our team assists with strategic planning to seize opportunities and circumvent obstacles. Our real time reach at both the state and federal levels provide our clients with information on breaking developments to enhance their ability to forecast and adapt to a constantly changing regulatory landscape.
Maynard Cooper’s Government and Regulatory Affairs Group earned 6th place in Bloomberg Government’s Top-Performing Lobbying/Law Firms in 2018. Bloomberg evaluated 1,946 registered lobbying firms and based their metrics on the volume of work, client retention, practice growth, and most importantly, client satisfaction.
Maynard Cooper is also one of the founding members – and only Alabama member – of State Law Resources, Inc. (“SLR”), a nationwide network of independent law firms selected for their expertise in government relations and administrative and regulatory law at the state and national level. SLR helps businesses, trade associations and public policy coalitions navigate the complex and time-consuming process of managing legal issues and government relations.
Our Firm is also a member of Lex Mundi, a legal network with in-depth experience in 100+ countries. Through close collaboration, information-sharing, training and inter-firm activities, 160 member firms are able to offer clients preferred access to more than 21,000 lawyers worldwide. Whether your needs are cross-border or in a single market, we can work with experienced, committed and deeply resourced independent law firms wherever you need to operate.
Maynard Cooper represents clients and their interests before the United States Congress and state legislatures, as well as administrative agencies, boards, and commissions at the federal, state, and local level. Specifically, the Firm’s services include:
- Drafting legislation and advising clients on pending legislation that may affect their interests
- Monitoring, analyzing and responding to proposed administrative rules and regulations
- Lobbying executive branches, legislators, staff, and other organizations regarding clients’ interests
- The tactical use of existing corporate legislative resources
- Testifying on behalf of clients in legislative committee meetings, hearings, and negotiations
- Political intelligence – collecting and analyzing political information to identify risk and opportunity
Administrative Law Practice
Our Administrative Law Practice combines substantive areas of legal expertise with the knowledge of regulatory operations to obtain the desired results for our clients. Our attorneys routinely represent clients at the administrative level of state government by appearing before the state’s boards, commissions and agencies. We regularly represent clients in matters involving the Alabama Public Service Commission, the Alabama Banking Department, the Alabama Department of Insurance, the Alabama Ethics Commission, the Alabama Department of Environmental Management, the Alabama Department of Revenue, the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations, the Alabama Department of Public Health, the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, and numerous others. Our attorneys understand the often confusing layers of state regulation, and have the knowledge, experience and relationships to guide clients through the administrative process successfully and efficiently.
The Firm routinely provides representation to clients in all forms of corporate and regulatory matters, including:
- Assistance in the design of and obtaining authorization to transact using products and/or services in regulated industries
- Guidance through mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and reorganizations requiring approval from state and federal regulatory agencies
- Drafting legislation
- Advice regarding compliance with all laws and regulations
- Representation of clients in numerous matters pending before or involving state boards, commissions, and other regulatory agencies
- AIG Annuity Insurance Company
- Alabama Power Company
- Alfalit International
- Amgen, Inc.
- Aviva Life Insurance Company
- Bass Pro Outdoor World
- BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc.
- Birmingham Airport Authority
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama
- Blue Origin
- Brasfield & Gorrie
- Bristol West Insurance Group
- Business Council of Alabama
- Calpine Corporation
- Cardiovascular Associates of North Alabama, P.C.
- City of Birmingham
- Clayton Homes
- El Paso Energy Corporation
- First Acceptance Corporation
- Globe Life
- Harbert Management Corporation
- Hubbard Properties
- Jefferson County Commission
- Jim Walter Resources, Inc.
- Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc.
- Lloyd's America, Inc.
- Lloyd's of London
- Lone Star Steaks
- McWane, Inc.
- Mesa Associates, Inc.
- Metropolitan Life Ins. Company
- North American Bus Industries, Inc.
- Plateau Insurance Group
- Quantum Research International
- Radiance Technologies
- Raymond James Financial Services, Inc.
- Regions Financial Corporation
- The Westervelt Company, Inc.
- Torchmark Corp.
- Torch Technologies
- U.S. Steel Corporation
- World Omni Financial Corporation
Legislative Update — Week 2 The second week of the 2020 Regular Session was profoundly impacted by the unexpected and tragic passing of Tom Collins, husband of Representative Terri Collins (R–Decatur). Almost every standing committee of the House canceled its…
Maynard Cooper is honored to announce that, for the third consecutive year, Matthew W. Stiles is the recipient of the Lexology 2020 Client Choice Award for the State of Alabama in the area of Employment & Benefits Law. The Lexology Client Choice…