Overview Legislators met for two legislative days – Tuesday and Thursday – during the 11th week of the 2021 Regular Legislative Session. Numerous House and Senate committees held meetings on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, a mark that the session is now in the homestretch. Representatives and Senators dealt with a...Read More
Doing business with the world’s largest purchaser of goods and services can be a trap for the unwary. The government has teams of lawyers ready to support its mission. You need the same.
Maynard Cooper’s Government Solutions Group has broad experience supporting every aspect of a contractor’s business activities. That allows us to form tiger teams with the exact expertise needed to provide efficient, cost-effective solutions for each client’s unique requirements. Below is a general overview of the types of broad support our team can provide.
Bid Protests and Procurement Litigation:
Unfortunately, sometimes contractors find themselves in adversarial proceedings. We have handled hundreds of bid protests, worth many billions of dollars, in every protest forum available. And we have tried multiple Contract Disputes Act cases in various forums, and even handled the appeals. Where there is no other available option, we have also challenged government action under the Administrative Procedures Act. Our team has been involved in some of the most significant, precedential cases in government contracting. Our success speaks for itself.
Transactions, Mergers, and Acquisitions:
Contractors, private equity firms, and investment bankers across the country rely on our team to close their deals. We close hundreds of millions of dollars in acquisitions every year, representing buyers, sellers, lenders, and ESOP trustees. Not all transactions involve the acquisition of a company; some are contract specific. We help our clients structure novation agreements as well.
Compliance and Audit Support:
We help our clients field and address issues that pop up during acquisition, performance, and contract close out. We are fluent in CAS and Part 31, and able to support you during any DCAA or other audits.
Teaming Agreements, Joint Ventures, and Subcontracts:
We recognize that the whole is sometimes greater than the sum of the parts. We help contractors forge partnerships to pursue contracting opportunities through teaming agreements and joint ventures, and to put subcontracts in place after award.
False Claims, Internal Investigations, Suspension, and Debarment:
Few things are more intimidating than staring down government allegations of wrongdoing. We are our clients’ first call when that happens. We conduct internal investigations (before and after the allegations arise) and litigate the charges if necessary. We have handled False Claims Act litigation all over the country. And you will find our names on the opinions in some of the most significant responsibility, suspension, and debarment cases in recent history.
Contractors sometimes find themselves in court litigating prime-sub disputes, non-competition agreements, and employment decisions. Over the years we have seen it all and have litigated virtually every type of controversy a contractor might face. We are bet-the-company litigators.
We realize that there are other government contract lawyers, but few have experience with niche areas such as the Randolph Sheppard Act, Ability One, the Service Contract Act, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, state and local contracting, government data rights, and contractor IP issues.
Sometimes the best solution is not a legal one. Our government relations team has deep connections across state and local governments. We are able to help our clients identify, develop, and achieve political goals.
Government Solutions Webinar Series
Government Solutions Webinar: The Service Contract Act
Government Solutions Webinar: Subcontracts Administration: Working with DCAA and DCMA
Government Solutions Webinar: 2016 Year in Review
Government Solutions Webinar - Exempt Service Contracts: Labor, Immigration, and Classification Traps to Avoid
Government Solutions Webinar: Proposal Instructions and Contract Management: Pitch Your Government Customers While Turning Square Corners
Government Solutions Webinar: Business Systems: Compliance Requirements for Large and Small Businesses
Government Solutions Webinar: New SBA Regulations Provide Tremendous Opportunities for Small Businesses: Mentor-Protege Agreements, JVs, and Relief from the Limitations on Subcontracting
Government Solutions Webinar: Terminations: How to Deal With the Premature Death of Your Contract
Government Solutions Webinar: Employee Stock Ownership Plans
Government Solutions Webinar: Recent Changes resulting from Export Control Reform
Government Solutions Webinar: Small Business Bid Strategies - Pricing, Teaming Agreements, and Subcontracts
Government Solutions Webinar: Preserve Your Right to Obtain an Equitable Adjustment: Practical Legal and Accounting Advice Before a Change Occurs
- What is a change
- Types of changes
- Formal changes
- Constructive changes
- Authority, Notice, and Duty to Proceed
- Cardinal Changes
- Claims certification and appeals
Government Solutions Webinar: Joint Ventures: What Government Contractors Need to Know
- Contract Claims and Constructive Changes
- Bid Protests
- Other Transactions
- DCAA Compliance and Audit Support
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Joint Ventures
- Teaming Arrangements
- Disputes between Prime and Subcontractors
- Organizational Conflicts of Interest
- Regulatory Compliance and Ethics
- Internal Investigations, Voluntary Disclosure, and Agency Compliance Agreements
- Suspension and Debarment
- Small/Disadvantaged Business Matters
- Schedule Contracts
- International Contracting
- Representative and Distribution Agreements
- False Claims Act
- Service Contract Act
- Ability One Program
- Randolph-Sheppard Act
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Intellectual Property, Data Rights and Licensing
- ESOP – Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Labor and Employment Counseling
- State and Local Contracts
- Compliance with Solicitation and Procurement Requirements
- Drafting legislation and advising clients on pending legislation that may affect their interests
- Monitoring, analyzing and responding to proposed administrative rules and regulations
- Lobbying executive branches, legislators, staff, and other organizations regarding clients’ interests
- The tactical use of existing corporate legislative resources
- Testifying on behalf of clients in legislative committee meetings, hearings, and negotiations
- Assistance in the design of and obtaining authorization to transact using products and/or services in regulated industries
- Guidance through mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and reorganizations requiring approval from state and federal regulatory agencies
- Drafting legislation
- Advice regarding compliance with all laws and regulations
- Representation of clients in numerous matters pending before or involving state boards, commissions, and other regulatory agencies