Maynard Cooper’s Governmental and Regulatory Affairs Practice Group offers results-oriented, cost-effective advocacy to the Firm’s diverse client list, which includes both local and Fortune 100 companies in the insurance, banking and financial services, manufacturing, energy and health care industries, as well as governmental entities.
Recognizing that successful businesses need a partner to manage government relations and the decisions that could directly impact their daily operations and long range outlook, Maynard Cooper has over 15 skilled business lawyers and lobbyists in its Governmental and Regulatory Affairs Practice working to help companies navigate today’s complex legislative and regulatory environment and assist them with strategic planning to seize opportunities and circumvent obstacles. With an office in the state’s capital, as well as a strong presence in D.C., the practice group operates directly in the legislative arena to track legislation in real time at both the state and federal levels so that they can provide our clients with timely alerts regarding new developments to enhance their ability to better forecast what the future entails.
Maynard Cooper’s Governmental and Regulatory Affairs Group earned 6th place in Bloomberg Government’s Top-Performing Lobbying/Law Firms in 2018. Bloomberg evaluated 1,946 registered lobbying firms and deliberated based on metrics including volume of work, client retention, and practice growth.
Further, Maynard Cooper is one of the founding members – and the only Alabama member – of State Law Resources, Inc. (“SLR”), a nationwide network of independent law firms selected for their expertise in government relations and administrative and regulatory law at the state and national level. SLR helps businesses, trade associations and public policy coalitions navigate the complex and time consuming process of managing legal issues and government relations.
There is no substitute for first-hand proven experience when engaging on behalf of a client. Maynard Cooper counts among its ranks lawyers who have served as:
- Chief of Staff to the Governor of Alabama
- Legal Advisor to the Governor of Alabama
- Staff Counsel to the Judiciary Committee of the United States Senate
- Finance Director of the State of Alabama
- Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court
- Chief strategist to numerous statewide political campaigns
- Member of the Governor’s Cabinet
With this depth and knowledge, our Governmental and Regulatory Affairs Practice provides counsel and thorough advice to clients concerning governmental affairs, administrative law and regulatory matters.
Maynard Cooper represents clients and their interests before the United States Congress and state legislatures, as well as administrative agencies, boards, and commissions at the federal, state, and local level. Specifically, the firm’s services include:
- Drafting legislation and advising clients on pending legislation that may affect their interests
- Monitoring, analyzing and responding to proposed administrative rules and regulations
- Lobbying executive branches, legislators, staff, and other organizations regarding clients’ interests
- The tactical use of existing corporate legislative resources
- Testifying on behalf of clients in legislative committee meetings, hearings, and negotiations
Administrative Law Practice
Our Administrative Law Practice combines substantive areas of legal expertise with the knowledge of regulatory operations to obtain the desired results for our clients. Our attorneys routinely represent clients at the administrative level of state government by appearing before the state’s boards, commissions and agencies. We regularly represent clients in matters involving the Alabama Public Service Commission, the Alabama Banking Department, the Alabama Department of Insurance, the Alabama Ethics Commission, the Alabama Department of Environmental Management, the Alabama Department of Revenue, the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations, the Alabama Department of Public Health, the Alabama Alcoholic Beverage Control Board, and numerous others. Our attorneys understand the often confusing layers of state regulation, and have the knowledge, experience and relationships to guide clients through the administrative process successfully and efficiently.
The firm routinely provides representation to clients in all forms of corporate and regulatory matters, including:
- Assistance in the design of and obtaining authorization to transact using products and/or services in regulated industries
- Guidance through mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures and reorganizations requiring approval from state and federal regulatory agencies
- Drafting legislation
- Advice regarding compliance with all laws and regulations
- Representation of clients in numerous matters pending before or involving state boards, commissions, and other regulatory agencies
- AIG Annuity Insurance Company
- Alabama Power Company
- Amgen, Inc.
- Aviva Life Insurance Company
- Bass Pro Outdoor World
- BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc.
- Birmingham Airport Authority
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama
- Bristol West Insurance Group
- Business Council of Alabama
- Calpine Corporation
- Cardiovascular Associates of North Alabama, P.C.
- City of Birmingham
- Clayton Homes
- El Paso Energy Corporation
- First Acceptance Corporation
- Harbert Management Corporation
- Hubbard Properties
- Jefferson County Commission
- Jim Walter Resources, Inc.
- Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc.
- Lloyd's America, Inc.
- Lloyd's of London
- Lone Star Steaks
- McWane, Inc.
- Mesa Associates, Inc.
- Metropolitan Life Ins. Company
- North American Bus Industries, Inc.
- Plateau Insurance Group
- Raymond James Financial Services, Inc.
- Regions Financial Corporation
- Southland National Insurance Company
- The Westervelt Company, Inc.
- Torchmark Corp.
- U.S. Steel Corporation
- World Omni Financial Corporation
National law firm opens tenth office with the addition of Nashville-based McKenzie Laird Ottinger + Leach Maynard Cooper & Gale (Maynard Cooper) has expanded its national footprint to Tennessee with the opening of a Nashville office and the addition of…
Maynard Cooper’s Lauren DeMoss and Leland Murphree were named “Rising Stars of Law” by the Birmingham Business Journal (BBJ) for 2019. The list highlights talented lawyers in the Birmingham area selected for their contributions to their firms and their potential to…