Maynard is pleased to announce that forty-three lawyers and twelve areas of practice are recognized by Chambers and Partners in its Chambers USA Guide 2022, the world’s leading provider of law firm research and analytics. Maynard is ranked as a leading firm in the following areas of practice: Alabama Banking...Read More
Labor and Employment
The Firm’s Labor and Employment Law Practice group is among the largest and most experienced in the Southeast and has earned the distinction for well over ten years as a leading Labor & Employment Practice by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. Devoted exclusively to the representation of management in all aspects of labor and employment law, Maynard Cooper's Labor and Employment group currently consists of 20 lawyers who focus exclusively in this area, many of whom have been recognized as among the best in their profession by rankings including The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA, Mid-South and Alabama Super Lawyers, and Benchmark Litigation.
In addition to the team of lawyers who concentrate their practice in this area of law, the firm has many other skilled lawyers who are experienced in handling employment related matters involving Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation, Immigration, and Healthcare issues, just to name a few.
The Labor and Employment Practice has been recognized as a top-tier practice in U.S. News & World Report's "Best Law Firms" and The Best Lawyers in America®. The practice has also been recognized as a "Go-To Law Firm" in the area of Labor and Employment for Fortune 500 Companies by American Lawyer Media and Corporate Counsel magazine. In a past survey of the Fortune 250 legal departments by The National Law Journal, Maynard Cooper was listed in "Who Represents Corporate America" in the area of Labor and Employment.
Employment Litigation and Arbitration
Maynard Cooper regularly defends management in virtually all types of employment litigation and arbitration and tries cases in both state and federal courts and before arbitrators in employment claims including:
- Employment discrimination claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Section 1981, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and various other federal employment statutes
- Collective actions under the FLSA and class action suits under Title VII, Section 1981, and the ADEA
- Claims of sexual harassment, racial harassment, and other types of workplace harassment
- Claims under the FMLA
- Claims of retaliation under the Alabama Workers’ Compensation Act and various federal employment laws
- Claims under the Fair Labor Standards Act and various state wage-hour laws; Workers’ Compensation lawsuits
- Breach of employment contract, including non-compete, non-solicitation and trade secrets, litigation
- State law employment torts such as negligent hiring, supervision and retention, fraud, defamation, co-employee, outrage, assault and battery, invasion of privacy and tortious interference
Administrative Litigation and Practice
In addition to the traditional employment litigation practice, the firm’s labor and employment attorneys regularly represent employers in administrative proceedings before various federal and state agencies such as the National Labor Relations Board, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Mine Safety and Health Administration, the Department of Labor, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, and the Department of Industrial Relations.
Preventive and Compliance Counseling
Maynard Cooper’s Labor and Employment Practice offers a variety of preventive counseling and compliance assistance. Depending on the needs of the particular client, the firm provides various forms of training including anti-harassment, diversity, supervisory, and other management training. The firm also offers employment handbook and collective bargaining reviews, equal employment, wage and hour and other employment law compliance audits, and investigations of grievances and complaints, including complaints of sexual or other harassment.
The attorneys in Maynard Cooper's Immigration Practice combine their knowledge of federal and state employment law and federal and state immigration law in order to provide comprehensive guidance to our clients on the complex and ever-changing laws and regulations in the immigration arena. To read more about Maynard Cooper’s Immigration Practice click here.
Labor Relations and Employment Law Developments
Maynard Cooper represents employers in the labor relations arena and provides assistance in union organizing campaigns and labor contract negotiations. For clients with union contracts or with mandatory arbitration programs, the firm routinely tries arbitration cases involving all types of labor and employment issues. In addition, the firm regularly counsels employers regarding compliance with federal and state employment laws. Our attorneys also monitor new and cutting edge developments in the labor and employment arena and provide client updates on these matters.
Whether it be litigation or legal counseling, the goal of Maynard Cooper's Labor and Employment Practice is to partner with each and every client to provide ongoing sound legal advice and representation that contributes to the success of their business operations.
Clients of Labor and Employment Services
- Action Resources, Inc.
- Amerex Corporation
- American Cast Iron Pipe Company
- Astralloy Steel Products, Inc.
- AutoZone, Inc.
- AXA Equitable Life Insurance Company
- BAE Systems, Inc.
- BellSouth Telecommunications, Inc.
- Benteler Automotive Alabama, Inc.
- Birmingham Airport Authority
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama
- Briggs & Stratton
- Bush Hog, L.L.C.
- Business Council of Alabama
- Cardinal Health, Inc.
- Cardio-Thoracic Surgeons, P.C.
- Cardiovascular Associates of North Alabama, P.C.
- CIGNA Corporation
- Citation Corporation
- Clayton Homes
- Clow Water Systems
- Community Hospices of America, Inc.
- Computer Programs and Systems, Inc.
- ConocoPhillips Petroleum Co.
- Eissmann Manufacturing North America, Inc.
- Fidelity Investments
- Fidelity National Title Insurance Company
- First American Bank (now RBC Bank)
- Flying J
- GA Pacific
- Glovis America, Inc./Glovis Alabama, L.L.C.
- GTE / Verizon
- H&R Block, Inc.
- Harley-Davidson Motor Company
- HealthSouth Corporation
- Heilig-Myers Furniture Co.
- Hesco Bastion Limited
- Hollywood Entertainment Corporation
- Hubbard Properties
- Intergraph Government Solutions Corporation
- Intermark Group, Inc.
- Jefferson County Commission
- Jim Walter Resources, Inc.
- Kraft, Inc.
- Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc.
- KwangSung America Corporation
- Ligon Industries, LLC
- Lone Star Steaks
- Manchester Tank and Equipment Co., Inc.
- McGraw-Hill, Inc. (Standard & Poors)
- McWane, Inc.
- MeadWestvaco Corporation
- Metropolitan Life Ins. Company
- Microsoft Corporation
- Mitternight Boiler Works, Inc.
- Momentum Telecom, Inc.
- Morgan, Keegan & Co., Inc.
- New York Life Insurance Company
- Nissan Motors
- PCH Hotels & Resorts, Inc.
- Pemco Aviation Group, Inc.
- Qualis Corporation
- Raycom Media, Inc.
- Royal Cup, Inc.
- Saginaw Pipe Company, Inc.
- Shell Oil Company
- Simply Fashions
- Source Medical Solutions, Inc.
- Southern Energy Homes, Inc.
- Southland National Insurance Company
- Sterling Capital Management, Inc.
- The Westervelt Company, Inc.
- TI Group Automotive Systems, L.L.C.
- Torchmark Corp.
- TRW, Inc.
- Tyco International Ltd.
- Tyson Foods, Inc.
- U-Haul International
- U.S. Pipe & Foundry
- U.S. Steel Corporation
- UBS Financial Services, Inc.
- USCO Power Equipment Corporation
- Walter Energy, Inc.
- Wells Fargo Advisors
- Wise Alloys
- Woodmen of the World Life Insurance Company
WebinarMatt Stiles and Matthew Cannova, attorneys in the Firm's Labor & Employment and Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation Practice Groups, host monthly webinars aimed at assisting and educating clients regarding Employment Law. Matt and Matthew offer monthly webinars regarding Employee Benefits and Employment Law, for more details on the program or registration, please contact email@example.com. Please be sure to check out previous webinars on the blog!
Attorneys and Other Professionals in Labor and Employment
- Allen B. "Josh" Bennett
- David B. Block
- Matthew J. Cannova
- Stephen Davis
- Jaclyn Diard
- Kathryn Roe Eldridge
- Peter S. Fruin
- Mitchell D. Greggs
- Mya M. Hatchette
- Jordan S. Hennig
- John B. Holmes, III
- Alvin K. Hope, II
- Stewart Andrew Kelly
- Warren B. Lightfoot, Jr.
- Claire Martin
- Stephanie Houston Mays
- Benjamin L. McArthur
- Anne Laurie McClurkin
- Miya Moore
- Brock Phillips
- David M. Smith
- Matthew W. Stiles
Labor and Employment News
Maynard is pleased to announce that Miya Moore has joined the Firm’s Birmingham office as an Associate in the Labor & Employment and Immigration practice groups. Ms. Moore will assist businesses across a broad range of immigration, labor and employment, and compliance-related matters. With a particular focus in immigration law...Read More
Eight weeks after President Biden’s announcement, the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has issued an Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS) requiring all employers with at least 100 employees to ensure their workers are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or submit to weekly COVID-19 testing. This ETS affects millions of private-sector...Read More