Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation
Representing pharmaceutical, medical device, and life sciences litigation today requires seasoned, innovative, scientifically-focused defense counsel, which accurately describes Maynard’s team. With extensive experience representing pharmaceutical, medical device, and life sciences companies as national counsel, MDL liaison counsel, and regional and local counsel. Maynard handles all aspects of this litigation, particularly mass torts: proactive, in-depth fact investigations, strategic client coordination and reporting systems, major e-discovery projects, voluminous medical records analysis, large-scale discovery and motion practice, multiple trials, and key appeals. Maynard has defended a myriad of medical products including pharmaceuticals (both prescription and over-the-counter drugs, most recently opioids), biologics, pelvic mesh, fracture fixation devices, contraceptive devices, breast implants, anti-reflux devices, dialyzers, latex gloves, incubators, component parts of oxygen delivery systems, and laser treatment devices.
We have extensive experience as discovery counsel in MDL litigation interviewing and defending sales representatives and deposing hundreds of treating physicians. We have also successfully collaborated with and defended company witnesses through discovery and trial, as well as handling expert witnesses from recruitment through trial.
Maynard served as local MDL liaison counsel for a major manufacturer in the Breast Implant Litigation, in which all federal breast implant cases were consolidated before Chief Judge Pointer in the Northern District of Alabama. We served as trial counsel in the only federal breast implant case tried to verdict. In addition, the firm defended one of the five largest pharmaceutical companies in the United States in significant mass tort product liability litigation in state and federal courts in Alabama involving diet drugs, rheumatoid arthritis therapy, over-the-counter cold medications containing phenylpropanolamine, thimerosal-containing vaccines, and hormone replacement therapy.
We coordinate seamlessly with other firms as part of virtual defense teams, and we maintain excellent working relationships with national counsel. Maynard also embraces project management to streamline defense protocols and control costs.
Recent cases litigated by Maynard’s team include:
- Representing a medical device manufacturer in Alabama state court where plaintiff alleged a thoracic pedicle probe failed during back surgery.
- Representing a pharmaceutical manufacturer as first-wave discovery counsel in MDL litigation over anticoagulant medication.
- Representing a Fortune 100 company as trial counsel in Texas state court in a case alleging that a pelvic mesh implant was defective, obtaining a defense verdict later selected as number one in Courtroom Viewing Network’s Top Ten Defense verdicts across the country.
- Representing a medical device manufacturer in Alabama state court where cortical and condylar screws allegedly failed during the first and follow-up surgeries.
- Representing a medical device manufacturer in federal court in Alabama where a hip implant allegedly failed, purportedly requiring additional surgery.
- Obtaining summary judgment for a defendant manufacturer in federal court in Alabama where plaintiff alleged that a cervical spine plate was defective.
- Obtaining a defense verdict in a jury trial in Alabama state court for a medical device manufacturer where plaintiff alleged a plate used in foot surgery failed and was defective.
- Obtaining summary judgment for a defendant medical device manufacturer where plaintiff alleged a knee implant was defective, which allegedly led to an above-the-knee amputation.
Attorneys and Other Professionals in Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Litigation
- Bo Bledsoe
- James R. Bussian
- Thomas Julian Butler
- Carmen Chambers
- Timothy A. Clarke
- Bryan A. Coleman
- Luther M. "Rusty" Dorr
- Helen Kathryn Downs
- John Earnhardt
- Christopher C. Frost
- Peter S. Fruin
- J. Marshall Gardner
- Lorrie L. Hargrove
- Stephen C. Jackson
- James C. Lester
- Catherine Milling
- Evan P. Moltz
- Maibeth J. Porter
- Grey Redditt, Jr.
- John A. Smyth, III
- Katharine A. Weber
- H. Thomas Wells, Jr.
- Angel West