Ashlee is an Associate at Maynard Cooper and focuses her practice on defending insurers, third-party administrators, plan administrators, plan sponsors, and employers in a variety of complex group insurance-related matters involving life, health, disability, and accidental death and dismemberment plans and coverages. Ashlee has extensive ERISA litigation experience and is well-versed in preemption, standard of review, scope of discovery, and ERISA remedy issues. Ashlee’s practice is also defending insurers in life and disability bad faith matters. She has defended health care and insurance clients in individual and class actions nationwide, and has significant experience coordinating and managing large-scale electronic discovery productions.
In addition to her law practice, Ashlee is a member of Maynard Cooper’s Women’s Initiative Committee in which she serves as co-chair of the Women’s Forum, and coordinates internal programming focused on the retention, development, and promotion of the Firm’s female lawyers.
Ashlee received her J.D. cum laude from the University Of Alabama School Of Law and holds a B.A. summa cum laude from Auburn University.
In recognition of her achievements, Ashlee earned Best Lawyer’s 2021 “Ones to Watch” recognition in Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law and Insurance Law.
- Crump v. Aetna, No. 1:19-CV-109-SA-DAS, 2020 WL 6265072 (N.D. Miss. Oct. 23, 2020)
- Smith v. Hartford, No. 4:20-CV-00041-CLM, 2020 WL 4815143 (N.D. Ala. Aug. 19, 2020)
- Smith v. Hartford Life & Accident Ins. Co., No. CV 5:19-061-DCR, 2020 WL 4355068 (E.D. Ky. July 29, 2020)
- Crites v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., No. 4:19-CV-00098-KGB, 2020 WL 2616578 (E.D. Ark. May 21, 2020)
- Long v. Aetna Life Ins. Co., 404 F. Supp. 3d 1012, 1021 (N.D. Tex. 2019)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, Insurance Law (2021)
Ashlee's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Federal Court Practice Section, and Women’s Section
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Junior Board, Alabama Chapter; Secretary
- Crisis Center Inc. Junior Board; Executive Committee, Finance Chair
- Birmingham Bar Association Scholarship Committee
University of Alabama School of Law (2013, J.D., cum laude; Alabama Civil Rights and Civil Liberties Law Review, Junior Editor; Campbell Moot Court Board; Criminal Law Moot Court Team; Bench & Bar Legal Honor Society)
Auburn University (2009, B.A., summa cum laude; Undergraduate Research Fellowship Recipient; Department of English Undergraduate Award; Auburn Board of Trustees Scholarship)