David is a shareholder and member of Maynard Cooper’s Corporate Securities & Tax practice, as well as a member of several related practice groups including the firm’s Tax, Economic Development & Incentives, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Charitable Foundations & Tax Exempt Organizations practice groups.
He applies broad experience in a variety of business operation aspects to represent companies of all sizes and industries, with a focus on choice of entity decisions, joint venture formations, business planning, mergers, acquisitions and general corporate governance. He also utilizes his specialized tax training to advise business clients in the areas of federal, state and local taxation, economic incentive procurement and nonprofit tax exemption.
David holds an LL.M. from New York University, and he earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from the University of Alabama School of Law. He holds a B.S., magna cum laude, from Birmingham-Southern College.
- Assisted global technology company in procurement of state and local incentives for a first of its kind data center project in Alabama.
- Magna/KAMTEK, Inc. – Assisted global automotive supplier in procurement of state and local incentives for a project with an estimated $535 million investment.
- Rain Bird Corporatation – Assisted national leader in irrigation product manufacturing in procurement of state and local incentives in connection with multi-phase project in Steele, Alabama.
- John A. & Ann A. Gasser v. State of Alabama Department of Revenue (Alabama Department of Revenue Administrative Law Division, Docket No. Inc. 11-489, October 15, 2012) – Successfully appealed a final assessment of Alabama personal income tax arising from the receipt of settlement proceeds by non-resident shareholders of an Alabama-headquartered corporation who had sued the corporation and certain insiders for fraud. The final assessment was voided in its entirety.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Tax Law (2020)
David's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Federal Tax Clinic, Board Member
- Alabama State Bar Association, Tax Section
- Birmingham Tax Forum
- Birmingham Bar Association
David's Speaking Engagements
New York University School of Law (2009, LL.M.)
University of Alabama School of Law (2008, J.D., summa cum laude; Alabama Law Review, Electronic Works Editor; Order of the Coif; Hugo Black Scholar; Recipient of Dean M. Leigh Harrison Award; Bench & Bar Legal Honor Society)
Birmingham-Southern College (2005, B.S., magna cum laude)