Erica is a Shareholder in the firm’s White Collar Defense and Investigations section and a member of the General Litigation Practice Group.
She focuses her practice on assisting individuals and entities in connection with state and federal criminal matters, conducting internal investigations, litigating and resolving false claims act proceedings, anti-corruption and anti-fraud compliance, and civil litigation involving a criminal or governmental component. Erica also has experience in a wide variety of commercial litigation matters and has represented defendants in individual and class actions involving contract, employment, shareholder, and securities claims.
Erica recently rejoined the firm after serving for four years as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Northern District of Alabama. As an AUSA, Erica worked with a multitude of federal agencies and state and local task forces to prosecute white collar matters involving bank, wire, and mail fraud, healthcare fraud, access device fraud, benefits fraud, tax fraud, securities fraud, elder financial exploitation, cyber intrusion, and money laundering. Erica also prosecuted cases involving child exploitation, narcotics, firearms, and immigration offenses.
Erica has experience at all levels of the criminal process and has tried cases to a jury in state and federal court. Prior to joining Maynard Cooper, Erica served as a Special Prosecutor in the DeKalb County District Attorney’s Office in Atlanta and served as a law clerk to the late Honorable Owen Forrester in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Corporate Compliance Law (2020)
Erica's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association: Criminal Justice Section, Women in White Collar Subcommittee
- Birmingham Bar Association: Criminal Justice Section
- Alabama State Bar: Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Committee, State Bar Leadership Forum
- Vestavia Planning and Zoning Commission (Chair)
- Junior League of Birmingham
- Vestavia Hills United Methodist Church
Erica's Speaking Engagements
- January 16, 2019: “How Virtual Currency & The Dark Web are Impacting Financial Crime in Alabama,” Association of Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (ACAMS) – Alabama Chapter
- December 4, 2018: Moderated at the State Bar White Collar Crime Committee’s CLE program, “Beyond the Statute: Winning Strategies for Relators and Defendants in False Claims Act Cases,” which discussed practical strategies for achieving better outcomes in litigation under the federal False Claims Act
- October 26, 2018: “What To Do When the Government Shows Up,” 64th Annual Human Resources Management Conference, Birmingham, AL
Duke University School of Law (J.D., High Honors, Order of the Coif)
Vanderbilt University (B.A., Political Science and Economics, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa)
Honorable J. Owen Forrester
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia