Jeff has practiced with Maynard Cooper since 1989 and now serves as Managing Shareholder of the 275+ attorney firm. With an active role on the Firm’s Executive Committee and Board, Jeff is responsible for the execution of firm strategy, operations and practice management across an expanding footprint. Jeff has served in various firm leadership roles for the past decade, including as Chief Strategy Officer for the firm, Section Head of Litigation, and chairing the firm’s Insurance and Financial Services Litigation practice group for many years. He helped expand the group’s presence to a national level achieving recognition most recently as a “core go-to firm” in the insurance industry, among the top 2% of all law firms nationally, by BTI Consulting Group (2017).
As a litigator, Jeff regularly represents the life, disability, retirement and property/casualty companies of some of the nation’s largest insurance carriers in class actions, complex claims, sales practices, coverage, rescission, bad faith and punitive damages matters. He has handled cases in states across the country, as well as in multiple Courts of Appeal. Jeff provides his clients with business and legal advice, as well as strategic trial counsel. He served as national trial counsel in “hot spot” venues in California, Illinois, Mississippi, Alabama and West Virginia. In addition, he served as national counsel to a commercial retailer where he successfully defended consumer class actions, commercial cases, and arbitration’s throughout the United States.
Jeff is consistently recognized for his litigation and trial skills by Benchmark Litigation®, Super Lawyers®, and the Best Lawyers in America®. He also earned the elite designation as a BTI Client Service All Star. Jeff is a member of the Association of Life Insurance Counsel and a frequent lecturer on industry trends, compliance, litigation and trial strategy.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Commercial Litigation and Insurance Law (2007-present)
- Benchmark Litigation Local Litigation Star, Civil Litigation, Class Action/Mass Torts
- Super Lawyers for Insurance Coverage (2008-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating
Jeff's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee State Bar Associations
- Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- The University of Alabama, Member of President’s Cabinet
- Birmingham Project Corporate Leadership, alumni
- Independent Presbyterian Church, Elder and Past Congregational President
- United Way of Central Alabama, Campaign Division Chair
Vanderbilt University Law School (1989, J.D.)
University of Alabama (1986, B.S., magna cum laude)