John Douglas Bethay, III
- Achieved complete dismissal on behalf of directors and officers of public company in $5.7 billion merger litigation.
- Achieved summary judgment and affirmance from Alabama Supreme Court on behalf of controlling stockholder, chairman of the board of directors and independent directors in shareholder action alleging breach of fiduciary based upon stock recapitalization, business decisions, and compensation packages for officers.
- Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of controlling interest of privately held company facing fiduciary duty claims by former company president and minority stockholder.
- Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of petroleum pipeline company in breach of contract action with claimed damages over $160 million.
- Won defense verdict in Greene County Circuit Court jury trial on behalf of petroleum pipeline owner in trespass and nuisance lawsuit by large landowner. Affirmed on appeal.
- Won plaintiffs’ verdict in Jefferson County Circuit Court on behalf of controlling interest of privately held steel company against fiduciary abusing power of attorney and trustee status. Affirmed on appeal.
- Representation of natural gas pipeline in negotiations and litigation with coal mine operator seeking to mine under pipelines.
- Representation of petroleum pipeline in negotiations and litigation with coal mine operator seeking to mine under pipelines.
- Representation of petroleum pipeline in assessing $2 billion expansion project throughout the southeast and related property litigation.
- Representation of owner of $100 million construction project against contractor engaged to construct barge notch and perform dredging operations along Black Warrior River.
1901 Sixth Avenue North
Regions Harbert Plaza
U.S. District Court:Alabama (Northern, Middle, Southern)
University of the South (Sewanee) (2004, B.A., Order of the Gownsmen; Dean’s List; Varsity Soccer; Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference Academic All-Conference)
University of Alabama School of Law (2007, J.D., cum laude; Alabama Law Review, Senior Editor)
November 9, 2018
MAYNARD COOPER & GALE RECEIVES RECOGNITION IN RECENT U.S. NEWS/BEST LAWYERS “BEST LAW FIRMS” AND SUPER LAWYERS LISTINGS
The recently released edition of the U.S. News-Best Lawyers® “Best Law Firms” positions Maynard Cooper in the National Tier Rankings in 10 areas of practice, including Commercial Litigation, Corporate Law, Land Use & Zoning Law, L...
November 21, 2017
95 MAYNARD COOPER & GALE ATTORNEYS DISTINGUISHED IN THE 2017 SUPER LAWYERS LISTINGS
Maynard Cooper & Gale is pleased to announce that 95 attorneys have been selected as 2017 Super Lawyers, including 90 among the firm’s Alabama office locations, two in the firm’s New York office, and three in its San Francisco office....