Katharine has served as one of the primary outside counsel for a Fortune 500 insurance and financial services company, litigating and managing their cases (individual cases and class actions) throughout the United States. Representative matters include cost-of-insurance and unearned premium refund class actions, policy-dating litigation, broker disputes, and life insurance claims litigation.
Katharine is among the elite 2019 BTI Client Service All-Stars, a select group of 335 attorneys identified by national corporate counsel. She was also named a Fellow of the Birmingham Bar Association in 2020.
In 2004 she was inducted into the Association of Life Insurance Counsel. She was appointed Chair of the Corporate Section in that organization in 2006 and to a three-year term to the Board of Governors in 2008. She also has served on the membership committee and co-chaired the social activities for the group.
Katharine is a frequent lecturer on life insurance trends and compliance. She is active in the Firm, serving as one of the Chairpersons of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee, a group she helped form in 2010.
Prior To Maynard Cooper
In 1989-90, after graduation from law school, Katharine clerked for the Honorable Emmett Ripley Cox of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
- The Best Lawyers in America® for Insurance Law (2007-present)
- BTI Client Service All-Stars (2019, 2013)
- Best Lawyers® 2015 “Lawyer of the Year” for Insurance Law
- Mid-South Super Lawyers for Insurance Coverage (2016 – present); “Top 50 Women Mid-South Super Lawyers” (2017)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Insurance Coverage (2008-2015); “Top 25 Women Alabama Super Lawyers” (2009-2015); “Top 50 Alabama Super Lawyers” (2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Rating – Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers (2013)
Kathie's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Chairperson, Panel IV – Character & Fitness
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Advent Episcopal Association for Education, Board Member (2004 – present)
- Partners in Neighborhood Growth, Board Member (2004-2014)
- Catholic Family Services, Board Member (2012 – present)
- Mountain Brook Sports Corporation (present)
University of Alabama School of Law (1989, J.D., Order of the Coif; Dean M. Leigh Harrison Award; Hugo L. Black Scholar; Alabama Law Review, Alabama Editor )
University of Notre Dame (1986, B.A., magna cum laude)