Matthew advises employers and benefits professionals across the country in matters related to employee benefits and executive compensation. He has experience representing employers in defense of audits, investigations, and proceedings by government agencies (IRS and DOL) with respect to benefits and compensation matters.
Matthew’s practice includes advising clients with respect to all types of executive compensation programs and employee benefit plans, including qualified and nonqualified retirement, deferred compensation, profit sharing, 401(k), defined benefit, and health and welfare plans. He also advises clients with respect to compliance issues under HIPAA, ERISA, COBRA, and the Affordable Care Act (Health Care Reform), as well as requirements under the Internal Revenue Code. He works with clients to identify and correct plan defects and compliance failures in tax-qualified retirement plans and welfare benefit plans through IRS and DOL voluntary correction programs.
Matthew has been recognized by several organizations and industry publications for his work as an employee benefits attorney, including Alabama Super Lawyers and Mid-South Super Lawyers. He is a member of the Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation and Labor & Employment practice groups in Maynard Cooper’s Birmingham office.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2021)
- Mid-South Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Employee Benefits (2016-Present)
- Alabama Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Employee Benefits (2015)
Matthew's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- The University of Alabama Human Resources Management Conference Advisory Committee
- Alabama Plan Sponsor Council, Board Member
- Junior Executive Board of the American Cancer Society
- Birmingham Ducks Unlimited Board
- Alpha Kappa Lambda Fraternity, Alumni Advisor
Matthew's Speaking Engagements
- April 24-25, 2018: “Tax Reform and Resulting Developments Under Employee Benefits Law” for Colonial Life’s Broker Summit, Pensacola, FL and Mobile, AL
University of Alabama School of Law (2010, J.D., magna cum laude; Alabama Law Review; Order of the Coif; Hugo Black Scholar; Chicago Title Insurance Company Award; Bench & Bar Legal Honor Society, Treasurer; Student Bar Association Senator)
University of Alabama (2007, B.S., cum laude; Health Care Management)