Overview Alabama legislators returned to Montgomery on Tuesday, January 18th, for the start of week two of the 135th Regular Session of the Alabama Legislature. As expected, Governor Ivey called a special session and directed legislators to work on appropriating the Federal American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds. As the...Read More
Raymond is a Shareholder in Maynard Cooper's Government and Regulatory Affairs Practice Group. He works from the Firm's Mobile and Montgomery offices.
Drawing on 25 years of government relations experience, Raymond counsels both public and private sector clients across a wide spectrum of industries and is uniquely positioned to work with elected and appointed officials and regulatory and policy personnel within local, state, and federal government. In addition to his government relations practice, he also provides counsel to public entities and advises clients on public finance, economic development, energy, and affordable housing issues.
Often tapping his wide network of personal and professional relationships, Raymond stays abreast of issues that affect or may affect his clients. He understands the concerns and needs of his clients in each of the areas in which he practices.
Raymond has vast investment banking experience, having worked in the public finance arena helping cities, counties, states, authorities, governmental agencies, and not-for-profit corporations. Consequently, he understands both the legal and finance sides of public finance. Raymond assists clients in transforming an economic development concept into a completed project and positioning it for future expansion. He is also well versed in the Energy industry and has a deep knowledge base for handling regulatory, business, and community matters.
Additionally, he helps clients structure mixed-use, traditional, and workforce housing using traditional, bonds, tax credit, and other financing tools.
As a former chair, vice-chair, and member of the State of Alabama Ethics Commission, Raymond became immersed in the contours and complexities of public disclosure laws, regulatory requirements, and other matters. He serves as a Special District Court Judge for Alabama's Thirteenth Judicial Circuit, a role he's performed when needed for more than a decade.
- The Best Lawyers in America© for Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, Worker’s Compensation Law-Employers, and Government Relations Practice (2012 - present)
Raymond's Affiliations and Civic Involvement
- Alabama State Bar
- Mobile Bar Association
- Alabama Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Alabama State Ethics Commission
- Alabama Governor's Transition Team
- Alabama School of Math and Science
- Mobile Chamber of Commerce
- Vernon Z. Crawford Bay Area Bar Association
- Housing and Development Law Institute
- National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
- Project Blueprint
- Leadership Alabama, Class of 2013-2014
- Leadership Mobile, Class of 2013
Raymond's Speaking Engagements
- July 18, 2019: Panelist for "What Litigators Want in a Mediator" - Alabama State Bar Annual Meeting
State Bar: Alabama